What is the way most Canadians like to commemorate this Thanksgiving? With Turkey! Make this Classic Half Roast Turkey Recipe the centerpiece of your Thanksgiving!
The fall season is upon us! The days are a little cooler, and the trees are beginning to change colours all around us. These are just two of the tell-tale signs that Thanksgiving is on its way! It is one of the holidays many Canadians look forward to, whether it is celebrated with a large group of family and friends, or if it is more of an intimate affair.
Though turkey is traditionally roasted whole in the oven for this occasion, it is available in so many different cuts at your local grocery store! You can find Canadian turkey sliced, ground, as drumsticks, breasts and even as bacon! If the traditional roast turkey is not what you like to gobble during Thanksgiving, then try one of these other options to make this holiday special for you and start a Thanksgiving tradition with it!
My family loves sitting down to a roasted bird every Thanksgiving. Whether it is just our immediate family or if we are amongst a rafter of family and friends, seeing the golden-brown bird presented to the table is what we anxiously await each year.
Whole Turkey How To Tips
Some people find tackling this big bird a bit daunting, but Canadian Turkey has shared their foolproof Whole Bird How To tips to get your turkey from store to your Thanksgiving table with ease! Worried about what you will do with your turkey excess? They also give some fabulous hints in their recipe section on how to prepare some tasty turkey leftover dishes your family can enjoy for the rest of the week! If serving a large turkey is not in the cards for your family’s needs, Canadian Turkey also has on hand a large library of scrumptious recipes to enjoy a fantastic feast that works for you!
Thanksgiving Classic Half Roast Turkey Recipe
Below is a recipe for a Classic Half Roast Turkey to get you fired up about this year’s Thanksgiving meal!
Classic Roasted Half Turkey
- ½ turkey 3-4kg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 6 large carrots
- One bunch fresh rosemary
- 3 large garlic cloves unpeeled
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- 1/2 tbsp ground rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp ground thyme
- If your bird is frozen, place it in the refrigerator overnight to defrost.
- Pat the bird dry with paper towels.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub both sides of the turkey with olive oil.
- Combine all spices to make a rub. Sprinkle generously onto both sides of the bird.
- Slice your onions roughly into 1-inch rounds. Peel and wash the carrots.
- Pour wine and chicken broth into your roasting pan. Line the bottom with onions, whole carrots, unpeeled garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs. Place the bird on top of all the vegetables, cut side down.
- Cook the turkey for 1 ½ – 2 hours until cooked through. Test for doneness with a meat thermometer. Turkey should reach an internal temperature of 170°F (77°C) in the breast and 180°F (82°C) in the thigh.
- Remove turkey from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Here’s an easy and quick way to make some homemade gravy to serve with your bird.
Take your pan drippings and skim all but a few tablespoons of the fat away. Pour into a saucepan.
Unpeel the garlic. Add the garlic and half the cooked onion to the saucepan. Blend with a hand blender.
Combine 1 tbsp corn starch with ½ glass of milk until dissolved. Add to the saucepan.
Stir over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
Lower the heat until mixture thickens and serve in a gravy boat.
22 Turkey Recipe Ideas
If you are looking for more turkey recipe ideas, you have to try some of these:
- Turkey Taco Party Cups Recipe
- One-Skillet Turkey with Mushrooms and Polenta Cakes Recipe
- Big-Crunch Oven-Baked Turkey Tenders Recipe
- Gather Around the Grill with Brazilian Style Grilled Turkey Breast Recipe
- Grilling Up Flavour with Canadian Turkey Mango-Chili-Lime BBQ’d Drummettes Recipe
- Skillet Turkey Breakfast Hash Recipe
- Bountiful Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage Recipe
- Turkey Ranch Mac-n-Cheese Recipe
- Turkey, Cranberry and Goat Cheese Party Bites Recipe
- Classic Homemade Turkey Noodle Soup Recipe with Canadian Turkey
- Big Batch Turkey and Chard Chili Recipe
- Be Barbecue Ready with Canadian Turkey BBQ Turkey Mixed Grill Dinner
- Super Easy Roast Turkey Dinner Recipe
- Quick and Hearty Turkey Barley Soup Recipe
- One Pan Turkey Pilaf with Olives, Orange and Apricots Recipe
- Make Canadian Turkey All-In-One Thanksgiving Dinner Bowl
- Cedar Planked Grilled Turkey Breast Roast with Charred Tomato Salsa Recipe
- Fire the Grill for Grilled Turkey Sausage and Summer Greens Pizza Recipe
- Crispy Roast Turkey Recipe
- Oven Baked Turkey Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- Savour the Holidays with a Festive Carved Turkey Recipe
- Canadian Turkey Sausage and Rapini Pasta Recipe
Want to find fun and unique ways to prepare turkey this Thanksgiving? Pop over to Canadian Turkey’s website to see the recipes they have in store for you to try, savour and make into a Canadian Tradition!