Canadian Turkey wants to give you a hand in making meals easy at this time of the year! They have shared with us some Back to School meal ideas and a recipe, Big-Crunch Oven-Baked Turkey Tenders, that will help you create some tasty dishes to enjoy!
Summer vacation is about to come to a close. Canadian families are beginning to think about getting back into the swing of their Back to School routines. One of the tasks parents have to get ready for are tasty back to school breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks! Meal planning is a way for families to prepare delicious and nutritious meals ahead of time. Using a delicious protein as the base for yummy meals can help to make meal planning easier out together.
Why should you choose turkey?
Why should you choose turkey for your Back to School meals? Turkey is a power-packed protein that can act as the anchor of any meal throughout the day. Any of its tasty cuts work to fuel your family with essential protein and nutrients. Turkey provides about 30 grams of high-quality protein for each 100-ram serving. This protein also contains nutrients like vitamin B12, selenium, and zinc.
5 tasty tips to make Back to School Easy with Canadian Turkey
Not sure how to fuel your family with turkey for Back to School? Check out these five tasty tips to give you some ideas!
1. Batch It! Turkey is the perfect choice for batch cooking. Plan for recipes that are easy to scale and cook extra turkey to provide planned leftovers, so you can cook once and eat twice!
2.Get Healthy! Turkey is a great source of protein, important minerals and nutrients. Power-up your plate without having to compromise on flavour with this tasty ingredient.
3.Keep It Simple! Turkey can be cooked ahead of time and freezes well, so you can have an easy meal on hand during rushed weeknights and busy weekends.
4. Versatility Plus! Turkey adapts to all of your favourite flavour profiles and spice combinations, and with so many cuts to choose from you can find choices that please the whole family. Turkey is a delicious option for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can serve it hot or cold, and it tastes great the next day, too!
5. Boost It! Add turkey to your favourite dishes for an instant protein boost! Salads, soups, pasta sauces and casseroles all benefit from the added nutrients turkey contributes.
A finger-friendly family recipe
Having Canadian turkey on your family’s plate every day is a great way to fuel your family through their busy schedules. Canadian Turkey wants families to enjoy every bite of their meals with tasty and nutritious tips and recipe ideas. One recipe that will help your family take a yummy bite every time is their Big-Crunch Oven-Baked Turkey Tenders. This dish would make an excellent lunch of dinner staple for your Back to School meals. Take a look below to see how to put together this easy dish!
Big-Crunch Oven-Baked Turkey Tenders Recipe
Big-Crunch Oven-Baked Turkey Tenders.
- 2 X 1 lb boneless skinless turkey thighs
- 1 tsp each garlic powder sweet paprika, powdered mustard
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Roasted Red Pepper Cream Cheese Dip:
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers drained
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice turkey into 1 cm slices. If thicker, pound to about 1 cm thickness.
- Season the tenders with garlic powder, paprika, mustard powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare your breading station with three shallow bowls. Place flour in one bowl, egqs in another bowl, and breadcrumbs and cheese in another bowl. Season all with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Set the oven to broil.
- Take each slice of turkey and dredge in flour. Dip in egg and then coat with breadcrumb mixture on both sides, pressing breadcrumbs to adhere well.
- Place oven rack in the middle of the oven. Broil, for 6-8 minutes per side, until turkey is no longer pink and cooked through. Flip once during cooking, when the breadcrumbs are browned. (Timing may vary depending on size and shape of fingers). Let cool slightly before serving.
For dipping sauce, blend together peppers, cheese, yogurt, parsley, onions and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve turkey tenders with dipping sauce on the side.
Why are these tenders so great?
These turkey tenders are great because they are a finger-friendly family recipe that can be gobbled down at lunch or dinner! Kids can even serve themselves by picking them up and dipping them into their favourite sauces. The fact that this dish is oven baked and packed with protein is an added bonus!
More tasty tips!
Are you curious to find additional tips, recipes and HOWTOs for a tasty Back to School with turkey? Visit Canadian Turkey for more cooking inspiration! The Recipe section is jam-packed with delicious recipes for full meals, appetizers, snacks, and kid’s favourites. There are also videos, tips, and how to’s that share what you need to know to help put scrumptious, nutritious, and versatile into your family’s meal rotation every day!
Disclaimer: This post is generously sponsored by Canadian Turkey.