Back-To-School is a time of the year when families start to rev up their schedules. Our lives become hectic with lessons, practices, meetings, and playdates. All of these events make getting healthy meals that are budget-friendly for our families more of a challenge. Canadian Turkey wants to make planning meals for Canadian families easier and delicious with helpful tips and their fabulous turkey recipe ideas. You will love this Big Batch Turkey and Chard Chili Recipe from Canadian Turkey!
Tips to Make Back-To-School Easier with Canadian Turkey!
A power-packed protein
Prepping meals. For many, this may sound like a tall order to fill due to the tasks parents have to do to get through busy day. Picky eaters and dietary restrictions also adds more onto this worry. Parents want to provide balanced nutrition in every meal with all of these issues facing them. Canadian turkey wants to help make this process easier for families to do.
Did you know turkey is packed with protein? Each 100-gram serving provides about 30 grams of high quality lean protein. Turkey also has nutrients such as vitamin B12 (helps to keep your nervous system working well), selenium (an antioxidant mineral), and zinc (helps to strengthen the immune system).
This meat is an excellent building block for meals solutions. It helps to keep your family powered up for busy and active days. Planning meals with recipes from Canadian Turkey help to plan breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks a simple task to accomplish.
7 tips to help you plan ahead and make Canadian turkey your Back-To-School go-to protein
Are you not sure how to begin planning ahead to make your family’s meals packed with protein power? Here are seven tips that can help you get started with ease!
- Scale Up– Turkey is a great option when planning to double or triple your favourite recipes. Scale your recipes so you can cook once and then freeze extras portions to have on hand when you need dinner or lunch in a hurry
- Foolproff Favourites– Develop a series of go-to recipes that you know are easy to prepare and that your family will love. The Canadian Turkey website is packed with kitchen-tested recipes that are both healthy and tasty too. Turkey is so versatile and comes in so many cuts that you can find something for everyone’s taste and preference.
- Plan Ahead– Try to cook with recipes where you can do some prep work ahead of time or plan to pre-cook some or all of the ingredients. Meal planning up to a week in advance is a great way to save time during busy weeknights.
- Lean but Juicy– It’s hard to believe but with turkey, both white and dark meat is lean. That means you can enjoy any cut you prefer and feel good knowing you are choosing a healthy protein without compromising on flavour, tenderness or juiciness.
- Change It Up– Turkey adapts well to all of your favourite flavour profiles and spice combinations. No matter what your family likes to enjoy, you can easily swapturkey into most recipes. Try cooking with turkey for your favourite meal of the day. You can serve it hot or cold, and it tastes great the next day, too!
- So Much to Choose From– Turkey is a versatile protein, with so many different cuts of both dark and white meat to choose from, including ground meat, legs, drumsticks, thighs, breast steaks, breast rolls, breast roasts, drummettes, wings, sausages, and burgers. With such a wide selection, you can enjoy turkey at breakfast, lunch or dinner, with leftovers that taste delicious the next day.
- Perfect for Penny Pinchers– Turkeys are generally larger than other poultry options and deliver a lot of meat for the price. Whole turkeys can be roasted for pennies per pound, and are a perfect choice for batch cooking meals or freezing leftover meat that can come in handy as everyday meal starters. Cuts like drums, breasts and thighs are larger, so you need fewer to feed the family or plan for leftovers.
A Back-To-School recipe to have on hand for busy families
Since fall is all but here, a good chili recipe is always good to have on hand. Canadian Turkey has a Big Batch Turkey and Chard Chili recipe that makes planning meals ahead of time easy-peasy. This recipe also allows you to be resourceful because it can be divided it into portions. You do not have to worry about creating meals throughout the week.
Big Batch Turkey and Chard Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs ground Canadian turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups minced white onions
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground Italian seasoning
- 2 tsps sweet smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 litre turkey broth
- 1 can (540 ml) Navy beans drained
- 1 can(540 ml) Cannellini beans drained
- 1 can(540 ml) Chickpeas drained
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1 cup roughly chopped Swiss chard
- 1. In a non-stick pan or skillet, sauté onions and olive oil until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes.
- 2. Turn heat to medium – high. Add turkey and sear to brown on all sides.
- 3. Reduce heat and add spices. Add garlic.
- 4. Continue to mix to ensure turkey doesn’t stick and meat breaks up into chunks.
- 5. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- 6. Add broth.
- 7. Add beans.
- 8. Turn to low for 3 hours or high for 1.5.
- 9. If mixture is still watery and you are looking for a creamier texture, remove 1 cup of mixture and use a hand blender to puree. Add back to chili and stir to incorporate.
10. Add corn and chard for an additional 15 minutes to cook through.
You can use this recipe to create multiple meals to have on hand. Just freeze into family size portions and defrost when you’re ready to eat.
Energy and nutrition on your family’s plate
With Canadian turkey on your plate, you will feel good knowing you are providing your family with nutritious food. Turkey will give your family the energy they need to make through their high-octane days.
Would you like to have additional tips, recipes and HOW TOs to make Back-To-School easier and tastier? Visit Canadian Turkey’s website to find your cooking inspiration! The recipe section contains many delicious recipes for full meals, snacks, appetizers, and kids favourites. There are also WHOLE TURKEY and CUT HOW TOs to give you a helping hand to get tasty, nutritious and versatile turkey on your table every day!
Disclaimer: This post is generously sponsored by Canadian Turkey.