Canadian Turkey wants you to have a fabulous summer by trying to make a bit of a change to the meat you fire up on the grill by eating turkey this year! You have to make their Grilled Turkey Sausage and Summer Greens Pizza!
It’s summertime, Canada! After slugging through a harsh winter, and experiencing a wet and wild spring, it is great knowing that there is nothing but blue skies and good times ahead for the next few months. How do a lot of Canadians celebrate the coming of the summer season? By uncovering the grill and barbecuing some amazing meals!
Turkey on the Grill!
Whoa! Wait a minute! Turkey on the grill?! YES! It is possible, and it can be done in so many delicious ways. Did you also know that turkey is a versatile protein? There are a variety of dishes you can create with the different cuts of turkey. Some of these cuts include:
- Ground meat
- Legs, drumsticks
- Breast Steaks
- Breast rolls
- Breast roasts
With all of these cuts to choose from you could have a different dish any weeknight, and have tasty turkey leftovers the next day. Another great reason to use turkey is that Canadian turkey is a low-fat, high-protein bird. Turkey can easily replace other meats in grilling recipes, so it is like making a new dish with this meat.
The leanest of Canadian turkey also makes it a great protein to put on the barbecue. Since both the dark and white meat are lean, you can give your family a choice as to which cut they would like without having to worry about health or nutrition. The lean content of turkey gets another check mark for meals on the grill because the lack of fat on this protein reduces flare-ups while cooking.
What kinds of dishes can be made from Canadian turkey on the grill?
With all of the cuts available to you from Canadian turkey, there are numerous possibilities at your disposal! Some of the more popular summer choices are meals are burgers, kabobs, as well as turkey dishes topped with yummy sauces, rubs and marinades. You could also try experimenting with new spice blends since turkey pairs well with any flavour profile.
If you are entertaining or want to have a lot of leftovers for a few days, why not barbecue a whole bird? Yes, The. Whole. Bird! It is really easy to do on the grill and it helps you save a bit of green in your wallet. Having family and friends over for Canada’s big day? Why not wow guests with a fabulous Canadian turkey meal!
Isn’t Canadian turkey considered comfort food?
Summer should be all about cooling down and taking easy, right? Canadian turkey is a great idea, whether it is for a small group or for a large crowd any time this summer. It can make any comforting while you take it easy this season. Turkey can be used in snacks to take with you on those memorable trips you take when you hit the road this summer. This protein can also be used in sandwiches and other dishes you can pack for a sunny day picnic or family gathering. Turkey also tastes delicious, prepared for hot or cold dishes, so enjoying it is never a problem.
Not a barbecue master?
That is not a problem! Below are a few grilling tips and tricks you can do to make this summer to enjoy at the grill:
- Grill lean and trim the fat – using lean cuts of meat with less fat means less flames and smoke on the grill.
- Infuse flavour into your meats by marinating with healthy fats like olive oil, adding citrus, beer, wine or vinegar and fresh herbs, spices and rubs.
- When grilling, go low and slow by grilling over low and medium heat. Cook until a meat thermometer registers 165°F (74°C) in the thickest part of the meat.
- Practice food safe habits and refrigerate any foods that are marinating longer than 1/2 hour.
- Cooking entire meals on the grill will give you juicy meat and tasty vegetables. Grilling locks in moisture and adds natural smoky flavour, cutting down on the need for extra fats, salt and sugary sauces.
- Grilling your food gets you outside where you can hang out with the family while you cook. While barbecuing, why not throw the ball or the Frisbee around? It’s a great way to enjoy the outdoors and have some fun together.
Excited about fun times this summer barbecuing with Canadian turkey? Here is a Grilled Turkey Sausage and Summer Greens Pizza you can prepare and serve!
Grilled Turkey Sausage and Summer Greens Pizza Recipe
For more Canadian Turkey recipes, you can visit our OMC website!
Grilled Turkey Sausage and Summer Greens Pizza- Canadian Turkey
- 1 Prepared pizza dough – homemade or store bought
- 1 ½ cups cooked Swiss chard and rapini
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into ribbons
- ½ cup mozzarella thinly sliced or shredded
- 2 Canadian turkey sausages grilled and sliced
- 1 package pre-made pizza dough
- 2 tbsp store bought pesto
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil optional
- Bring your pizza dough to room temperature to make it easier to stretch out.
- While your dough is acclimating, prepare all your ingredients so they are on hand.
- Pre-heat your grill to high.
- Generously flour your work surface.
- Stretch your dough out to your desired thickness. Make sure your pizza bottom does not stick to your work surface and can be easily moved.
- Have a pizza stone or griddle on hand. Generously flour.
- Transfer pizza dough to stone or griddle.
- Build your pizza: spread the pesto over the dough, top with greens, zucchini and sausage.
- Top with mozzarella and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 10 – 20 minutes, until pizza crust is browned, toppings are browned and cheese is melted and bubbly. Note that cooking times will vary depending on the strength of your BBQ and the thickness of the dough.
- Remove the pizza from the BBQ and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves.
- Top with red pepper flakes and olive oil (optional).
- Slice and serve.
Canadian Turkey makes it easy for Canadians to want to fire up the grill this summer. They have so many different recipes and HOW TOs guides to help make the most of the summer. Take a look at their Summer Grilling Guide to #BBQWithTurkey!
Are you curious about other turkey dishes you can prepare with the perfect wing man, Canadian Turkey? Take a look the Canadian Turkey website, or connect with them on their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest pages!
Disclosure: I was generously compensated to share these fabulous ideas in this post by Canadian Turkey.