Entertain for the Holidays with Canadian Turkey! #TurkeyTraditions
Decking the halls. Trimming the tree. Stringing up the lights. These are just some of the things we do to get ready for the holiday season every year. Another very important preparation people take pride in at this time of the year is food. What we savour at this time of the year helps to create some of our most favourite memories. Some may feel that food is at the heart of this annual celebration. What is the star of your holiday celebrations? Why not make it turkey?! Turkey is a fantastic protein that can be served in so many delicious ways. Take a look here to see how to entertain for the holidays with Canadian Turkey this year!
Is this your first year at the helm in the kitchen this holiday season? Canadian Turkey has got your back with so many tips and tricks to make your celebration this year simple to prepare. They have a library of simple year-round Whole Turkey HOW TO and Turkey Basics videos to get you through the whole process, from purchasing your Canadian turkey to preparing and cooking it for your family and friends for the first time.
Whether this is your initial run at hosting the holidays or if you are usually the host with the most, the Recipes section at Canadian Turkey is a wealth of knowledge to get your holiday festivities off to a great start! From appetizers to main dishes, Canadian turkey is a power-packed protein that can add a bit of seasonal flair to your entertaining menus. There are tips for preparing an amazing classic roast turkey dinner with all of the trimmings for a large gaggle of people, or cook up an equally impressive spread of a stuffed breast roast or a variety of turkey cuts with festive sides for a smaller, more intimate gathering. No matter how you slice it, turkey makes the perfect choice!
Looking to take your entertaining menu to the next level? Have you thought about customizing your favourite turkey recipe with different flavours and methods to create a new crowd favourite? Since turkey is such a versatile meat, it pairs well with many different flavour profiles, spice blends, seasonings, stuffings, and glazes. Sneak a peek below at the ideas below for some inspiration.
5 Ways to Make Your Next Roast Turkey Your Own:
- Experiment with different brining and marinating flavors – get creative with your own family favorites!
- Create your own rub of family-favorite spices for a unique signature style.
- Use a glaze to baste your bird throughout the roasting process to add a different flavor finish; think maple, cranberry, jalapeno, paprika, provence or bourbon, for example.
- Create spiced and flavored butters or oils to rub underneath the skin and add a major flavor boost while cooking.
- Stuff the bird with a different selection of aromatics to customize and infuse flavor while cooking – shallots and thyme, apples and sage, onions and rosemary are all a great place to start!
Want a turkey recipe that goes a bit off the beaten path to add to your festivities this year? Take a look at this Turkey Pilaf dish that will wow your guests at your event.
- • 4-6 Canadian turkey thighs
- • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- • 3 shallots
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- • 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- • 2 cups turkey broth
- • ½ cup white wine
- • 2 cups basmati rice
- • 2 ½ cups water
- • 1 tsp. olive oil
- • 3 cloves garlic
- • ¼ tsp. cloves
- • 2 sticks cinnamon
- • 2 pods star anise
- • 5 small pods green cardamom
- • ¼ tsp. saffron
- • ½ cup golden raisins
- • ½ cup chopped apricots
- • ½ cup sliced green olives
- • 1 can chickpeas
- • 2 stalks green onion chopped
- • ½ cup sliced almonds
- • 1 tbsps. chopped mint
- • 1 tbsps. chopped parsley
- • 1 tbsps. chopped cilantro
- • 1 ½ tbsps. sesame seeds
- • 1 tbsps. slivered orange rind
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or Dutch oven.
- Thinly slice shallots and fry until golden, 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Season turkey thighs with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Brown both sides over medium heat.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- Add turkey broth. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 40 – 50 minutes until turkey is cooked through and almost falling off the bone.
- Remove turkey thighs from the pan to cool. Once cooled, discard the skin, remove the meat from the bones and break up into chunks. Set aside.
- Pour out the sauce from the pan into a heatproof container. Add water until you have 4 cups liquid in total. Set liquid mixture aside.
- Add 1 tsp. of olive oil to the pan over medium heat. Add rice, cloves, cinnamon, star anise and cardamom. Stir to toast rice and spices, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add liquid mixture, saffron, raisins and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover until rice is cooked through, 10 – 12 minutes. Turn off heat. Uncover, fluff with a fork and cover again for 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, apricots, olives and turkey to the rice and combine.
- To serve, top with shallots, green onions, almonds, mint, parsley, cilantro, sesame seeds and orange rind.
Make this dish even lighter by using turkey breast instead of turkey thighs. If you have leftover turkey on hand, feel free to use a combination of both.
Are you excited about entertaining with Canadian turkey this year? From your guests’ first bite to tried and true show-stopper, there are so many ways turkey can make the season bright and delicious. Whether you want to keep things tasting traditional to trying something new, Canadian Turkey has so many tips to help you entertain this holiday season with your #TurkeyTraditions. We hope that, no matter how big or small your gathering is this year, that you have a holly, jolly one with those you love!
Want to see how else Canadian Turkey can help you entertain this holiday season? You can visit them on their website or connect with them on their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube pages!
Disclaimer: This post was generously sponsored by Canadian Turkey.
A Canadian Turkey Giveaway!
Are you ready to entertain this holiday season with turkey? Canadian Turkey would like to give one lucky Ottawa Mommy Club follower a $100 Amazon e-gift card to help you entertain this holiday season!
The ARV of this prize package is $100!
This giveaway is open to Canadian residents and ends at 11:59 EDT on December 31st, 2017.
Rules: Open to Canadian residents 18 +. You have 48 hours to reply by email once you are notified as the winner. If you don’t, we will draw another entry. Prize is non-transferable. No substitution or cash equivalent of prizes is permitted. The selected winner must correctly answer a mathematical question in order to win the prize mentioned above. The Ottawa Mommy Club is not responsible for prize fulfillment and for the delivery/shipment of the prize(s) mentioned above. For our complete set of rules, please click here.
If you encounter any issues with this giveaway, please contact us at ottawamommyclub.ca.