Bountiful Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage Recipe
With the holiday season over, it can be a bit of a challenge to get a family back to basics. Did you know that choosing healthy ingredients and putting together nutritious meals doesn’t mean you have to comprise on taste? Canadian Turkey wants to give you some inspiration for meal makeovers and helpful hints to steer you back onto a healthy track. They do this by sharing unique ways to make simple recipes that incorporate super-charged ingredients such as this Bountiful Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage recipe!
Canadian parents have to find more ways to keep our families eating well, adding healthy choices to everyday meals, and give these meals a twist to keep families interested and excited to eat them. Turkey is a perfect ingredient to use to substitute for many other meat proteins in almost every recipe. Why, you ask? Both dark and white meat cuts are able to work well with different spice blends. This allows you to make your own flavour preferences. Turkey is also fabulous to use in meals throughout the day. This makes planning your breakfast, lunch and dinner meals simple while keeping your family feeling full of energy. Turkey also a great protein to have on hand because it helps to make tasty meals that are both budget and time-friendly.
How can turkey help make-ahead meals easier?
Roasting a big bird has many advantages. It can feed a lot of people and its leftovers are perfect to use in meals during your family’s hectic work week. Healthy and nutritious breakfasts and lunches can be prepped, packed and ready to be taken on-the-go the next day. Dinners can be put together, popped in the freezer, then heated up on a busy weeknight throughout the week. Meals created from leftover turkey really help to take the guess work out of what’s for dinner for hectic family. Would you like to make your breakfasts a tasty affair? Check out this Build A Better Breakfast Bowl for some fabulous suggestions!
Healthy cooking with turkey
Was one of your resolutions this new year to start eating healthier? Do you find it hard to stay on track with this goal? One great step you can take to help you and your family achieve this goal is by sticking to the basics and cooking most of your meals from scratch. When you prep your meals from scratch you get to be in the driver’s seat about what is added to your food. Ingredients such as salt and fat can be left out if you choose. Using mostly whole food ingredients when cooking allows you to make sure you sure providing your family with the nutrients they need to be healthy. Turkey is a lean protein that can help you make your meal makeovers to put together healthy meals that are nutritious and delicious.
Not sure how Canadian turkey can help you get back to basics with meal makeovers? Take a look below at these reasons why you should get started in making over your everyday meals with this fantastic fowl!
5 reasons to make over everyday meals with turkey!
Start your everyday meal makeover journey in the kitchen with turkey as a key ingredient. Did you know turkey contains a lot of nutrients per calorie? Yes, it’s true! Turkey also fits into an overall high-quality diet that is healthy without sacrificing on taste. Replace turkey for any protein in your family favourite recipes, making them a leaner, healthier choice. Here’s why adding turkey can help you feel good about adding this protein to your family’s meals and snacks:
- Canadian turkey is a lean source of high-quality protein. Eating enough protein at each meal provides you with long-lasting energy so you can stay satisfied between meals.
- Turkey is nutrient-rich, packed with protein, vitamins and minerals that we need for good health.
- White turkey cuts are a low fat, extra-lean choice with just 3 grams of fat per 100-gram serving.
- Dark cuts are lean too, with just 8 grams of fat per 100-gram serving. Plus, dark turkey cuts provide even more iron and zinc (which are key in keeping us healthy during cold and flu season).
- All fresh cuts of turkey are naturally low in sodium. And because turkey is super tasty, you don’t need salty marinades to enhance the flavour.
Bountiful Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage recipe
Would you like to know how to start off your days with a Canadian turkey meal makeover? Have a look at this Bountiful Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage recipe to try!
- 3-4 Canadian turkey sausages
- 2 cups sweet potato diced
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 8 eggs
- 2 zucchini diced
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove turkey meat from the sausage casings. Take one third of the meat, roll into a ball and flatten into a patty. As an alternative, slice the sausage into pieces.
- Cook the sausage patties/pieces for 4-6 minutes per side on medium heat until no longer pink and cooked through. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Cook sweet potatoes on all sides until cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Sauté zucchini and kale until cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead at this point.
- Cook eggs to your preference.
- Assemble the bowls; use the kale as the base, top with sweet potatoes, zucchini, avocado, eggs and sausage.
TIP: Feel free to experiment with these breakfast bowls! You can use any variety of veggies you have on hand and use a variety of grains as a base too.
Now that you have seen how turkey sausage can help make over your breakfasts, take a peek at this How to Build a Better Breakfast Sausage Patty chart for more flavour combinations to enjoy!
Are you curious to find additional tips, recipes, videos and Whole Turkey HOW-TOs? Visit Canadian Turkey to find some amazing cooking ideas. The recipe section shares a collection of tasty recipes like this Bountiful Breakfast Bowl with Turkey Sausage that include full meals, appetizers, and snacks to prepare and enjoy. There is also a treasure trove of ideas for you to whip up with your turkey leftovers and for make-ahead meals to give you a jump start to your busy work week. It has never been easier to #MakeItWithTurkey!
Disclaimer: This post is generously sponsored by Canadian Turkey.