When I hear of a meal consisting of turkey, I automatically think about serving it at Christmas, Thanksgiving, or Easter. Honestly, I don’t know why, it’s not as if a turkey is only available in the supermarkets during those months! It’s time I change my my way of thinking about when to cook and eat a turkey. After all, it’s so delicious, why not serve it year round to my family! You will love this recipe from Canadian Turkey, the Turkey Sausage and Rapini Pasta!
I noticed at the grocery store that I can purchase different cuts like ground turkey, breast filet or steak, stir fry strips, drumsticks, thigh joint, and many more. Lately, I made meatballs using ground turkey with a spaghetti sauce and my family just loved them! Turkey can be cooked any time of the year, especially during the summer months and on the BBQ too!
Turkey Sausage and Rapini Pasta Recipe
To get you started in cooking up a storm using turkey, you will find below a scrumptious recipe using turkey sausages, the Turkey Sausage and Rapini Pasta Recipe. (Yes, I now know they make sausages out of turkey, so make sure to ask your butcher for them!)
Turkey Sausage and Rapini Pasta
- 450 gr pasta of your choice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 turkey sausages
- 2 bunches rapini
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsps salt for boiling
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp hot pepper
- Salt a large pot of water with 1 tbsp salt and bring to boil.
- Prepare rapini by rinsing thoroughly and trimming stems.
- Boil rapini for 5 minutes and remove from water.
- Salt another large pot of water with the other 1 tbsp of salt and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Grill sausages over medium heat until cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan with 2 tbsps olive oil over medium heat.
- Crush garlic.
- Add rapini, salt to taste, pepper, hot pepper and garlic to large frying pan.
- Saute over medium heat until cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Slice up sausages.
- Add pasta, 2 tbsps of olive oil and sausages to rapini mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Summer is here and we are super excited about cooking with Canadian turkey. Summer is the perfect season to cook, eat, and grill our favorite bird. It’s a light and lean source of protein, perfect for those hot summer days. It’s packed with vitamins and essential nutrients, making it a healthy choice for your family, and it’s easy to prepare with a variety of cuts available. Turkey is fantastic on the grill, and you can find ground meat, burgers, and sausages at your local grocery store. It’s a great everyday choice and we’d love to see it on Canadian tables for regular weeknight meals!
This summer, why not get a whole bird on the grill? Canadian turkey is great barbequed whole or cut down into parts. Your butcher can help break it down to make the process even easier. The best thing is that one turkey can feed a big crowd, so it’s economical, too! There are so many ways to eat it, and it’s perfect hot or cold, so your barbequed bird will go a long way! Ask for Canadian raised Turkey next time you’re grocery shopping so you know you’re putting Canadian quality on your table – from our farmers’ families to yours!