Most Halloween treats are not exactly healthy. I like to try new and different recipes that still fit the theme of the holiday but I can also feel good about giving to my family and friends. That’s why I created these adorable Jack-O-Lantern orange bowls. The process of making the bowl is similar to that of carving a real pumpkin, just on a miniature scale. You’ll probably want to stick with navel oranges, as their skins are thicker and will hold their shape better once the pulp has been removed.
I prefer to fill my Jack-O-Lantern bowls with berries – their small size is just right, and even though you have to cut the strawberries, they last well once cut. Small grapes are another great option. If you’re taking these halloween snacks with fruit to a party, avoid apples, pears, and other fruits that will oxidize quickly.
For an added touch, hang on to your strawberry caps to decorate the “lid” of the orange. You could even pick up green plastic toothpicks to hold the stem onto the orange if you wanted to put the lids on the oranges for your party platter.
These orange bowls have it all – they are festive, fun, and delicious!
Jack-O-Lantern Orange Bowls Recipe
For this recipe, you will need:
- 4 Medium Oranges
- 1 1/2 cup Mixed Fruits of your choice (I find berries are ideal)
The directions are so easy:
1. Slice off the tops of the oranges.
2. Using a spoon, scoop out the pulp of the oranges.
3. Cut out faces as desired on each orange to resemble a Jack-O-Lantern.
4. Fill each orange with mixed fruits and serve.
JACK-O-LANTERN ORANGE BOWLS RECIPE
- 4 Medium Oranges
- 1 1/2 cup Mixed Fruits of your choice I find berries are ideal
- Slice off the tops of the oranges.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the pulp of the oranges.
- Cut out faces as desired on each orange to resemble a Jack-O-Lantern.
- Fill each orange with mixed fruits and serve.