Apple cider isn’t just for drinking? It is the perfect apple flavouring to add to any dessert. Do you need new recipes for Valentine’s day? Well, these apple cider cookies will give you the most amazing heart-shaped treat for Valentine’s Day. They are made with puff pastry and will be perfect for work social or sharing with classmates.
Baking with Puff Pastry
If you have never used puff pastry before there are a few baking tips you need to know before making these heart shaped puff pastry cookies:
- Always make sure that you have preheated your oven. Puff pastry needs to have even heat when baking.
- A nonstick or dark glazed baking sheet may bake faster, so adjust your time and check pastry while baking.
- If bubbles appear on the surface while baking puff pastry, prick with a fork or toothpick to deflate them.
- Always flip and place the cut side of the puff pastry down on the baking sheet.
- Place pastry on the baking sheet before adding toppings or fillings.
- Keep the pastry even by placing parchment paper on top with a smaller cookie sheet.
- Puff pastry is done when it’s golden and puffy, not wet and doughy.
- Make sure to thaw frozen pastry before using.
Don’t try to shape puff pastry that’s not completely thawed; shaping it while it’s still partly frozen could tear the Puff Pastry sheet. The pastry should unfold easily, but still be cold after thawing. If sheets reach room temperature, return to the fridge to rechill (do not refreeze).
If you are new to puff pastry just test it out a few times until you feel you have made it the way you like. Just follow this puff pastry dessert recipe and use your eyes to decide when they are ready.
Recipe for apple cider cookies
This is a very easy cookie recipe to use for first time puff pastry users. I am sure this will end up being a favourite and a go-to recipe for Valentine’s Day cookies. These heart shaped Valentine’s Day cookies will melt in your mouth so you know that everyone will love them as much as you do.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Makes: 15-20 cookies
Kitchen Tools Needed
- Parchment lined baking tray
How To Make the apple cider cookies
Roll out puff pastry.
Mix sugar and drink mix in a bowl.
Brush with a thin coat of melted butter and sprinkle with ½ of the sugar mix.
Flip the pastry over and repeat with a coat of melted butter and sprinkle of the sugar mix.
Roll the dough into itself half way, and repeat with the other side. You should have two “rolls” of dough that meet in the middle.
Cut in ¾-1 inch widths and place on a parchment lined baking tray. So you are basically making two “snails” and when placed together they form a heart.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until just golden brown.
Let cool before serving.
Apple Cider Cookies for Valentine’s day
- 1 Parchment lined baking tray
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Brush
- 1 box puff pastry
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup hot apple cider drink mix
- ¼ cup butter melted
- Roll out puff pastry.
- Mix sugar and drink mix in a bowl.
- Brush with a thin coat of melted butter and sprinkle with ½ of the sugar mix.
- Flip the pastry over and repeat with a coat of melted butter and sprinkle of the sugar mix.
- Roll the dough into itself half way, and repeat with the other side. You should have two “rolls” of dough that meet in the middle.
- Cut in ¾-1 inch widths and place on a parchment lined baking tray. So you are basically making two “snails” and when placed together they form a heart.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until just golden brown.
- Let cool before serving.