Homemade gift bags crafted with love make Holiday presents that much more special. Use the following to come up with DIY Christmas Paper Gift Bag Ideas!
DIY Christmas Paper Gift Bags
Gift packaging can be as personal as the gift itself. Choose a day to create numerous homemade Christmas gift bags as a family Christmas craft.
Ideas for Christmas Paper Bag Gift Wrapping Supplies
- Bulk kraft paper gift bags
- Glue gun
- Glue sticks
- Cinnamon sticks
- Pine tree leaves
- Red tissue paper
- Leaf stamp
- Green and gold paint
- Manila paper
- Scissors and hole punch
Gift Wrapping Ideas: Decorating Christmas Gift Bags
Always plan out a design before gluing on the bag. You can craft some gift bags with:
- raffia bows
- cinnamon sticks
- holly designs
- Pine tree leaves
- a combination of two or three of the above
How To Make Raffia Bows
- To make raffia bows, cut the raffia into 6 inch long strings.
- Hold 4 to 6 raffia strings together, and tie into a bow.
- Do this for each raffia bow.
- Place a dab of hot glue on the bag for each raffia bow.
- Press the middle of the bow gently on the glue.
How To Make Holly Berries
- To make holly berries, crumple small pieces of red tissue paper into balls.
- Paint or stamp sets of two hollies leave onto the bag with green paint.
- For each set of holly leaves, use a glue gun to put a dab of hot glue at the edge of the set.
- Take three red tissue paper balls and gently press into the hot glue.
- This makes a holly.
Decorate Gift Bag with Cinnamon Sticks
- With a hot glue gun, glue cinnamon sticks on the bag in rows of two sticks. (Experiment with one or three, but two often looks best.)
Decorate Gift Bag with Pinecones and/or Pine Tree Leaves
- With a hot gun, glue a few pine tree leaves and glue 1 or 2 small pinecones on top of leaves or directly on bag.
Decorated Gift Bags Instructions
- When bags are dry and ready to use, place Christmas presents carefully in the bag and cover with tissue paper.
- Cut a few more raffia strings, this time about a foot long.
- Hold them together and use them to tie the handles of the gift bag together with a great big raffia bow.
How To Make Gift Tags
After you Christmas paper gift bag is fully decorated with the present in it, you need to add a gift tag.
- Cut rectangle shapes out of recycled card stock or manila paper.
- Using colourful markers, crayons, or paints, write “To: _” and “From: ” on each gift tag.
- Add any other “Merry Christmas” or “I love you” messages, as desired.
- Punch a hole in the corner of each gift tag.
- After presents are placed in gift bags, fill in the “to” and “from” sections of the gift tag.
- Tie paper bag handles together with twine or raffia, then attach the gift tag to handles by threading the raffia or twine through the hole.
Kids Christmas Paper Gift Bag Ideas
Children will enjoy this paper gift bag family craft project, but please keep safety measures in mind:
- Children should not use glue guns or work with hot glue. Let children use good quality craft glue.
- Young children should not use sharp scissors. Either let them use child-safe scissors or do the cutting for them.
Stamping Paper Gift Bags
- Give the youngest children potato stamps and red and green paint. Let them decorate gift bags.
- Children can also use store-bought Christmas stamps with non-toxic ink or water-based paint.
Use Craft Paper Or Water-Based Paint
Children can decorate their homemade paper gift bags for Christmas by using coloured construction paper or water-based paint. They can make their own stencils or download some from the internet to create a reindeer face, to paint white Christmas trees, or fancy laces on the bags.
These are some easy DIY Christmas Paper Gift Bag ideas for you to try with the family and fun gift wrapping ideas!