Decorating the mantel for Christmas is easy with these ideas for an elegant, classic, or rustic style.
Decorating for Christmas is always fun, and it can inspire the entire mood of the holiday season. Since the fireplace is often the focal point of a room, give extra attention when decorating it. These ideas for decorating fireplace mantel at Christmas cover three different styles – elegant, classic and rustic. In addition, a few tips are included to explain key components to creating any Christmas decorated fireplace mantel look stunning around the fireplace.
Christmas Mantel Decorating Tips
No matter what style of decorating is used, there are a few consistent elements that come with decorating a mantel for Christmas. Make sure these pieces are part of the holiday mantel decor and most of the work is already complete.
- Wreath – Hang one on the wall, or over a clock, picture or mirror already on the wall.
- Garland – Woven along the mantel garland instantly says Christmas.
- Stockings – It would not be Christmas without stockings hanging on the fireplace.
How to decorate a Christmas mantel
With these easy mantel decorating ideas for Christmas in place, all that is needed is to find pieces that match the holiday decorating style of the home and fill in with other objects that enhance the look.
Rustic Christmas Mantel Decor
Rustic décor is casual, comfortable and a little bit country. To achieve the look of a rustic Christmas decor for mantel, look for simple items in natural materials and without any glitz.
- Use real or fake greenery for wreaths and garland.
- Dried berries and pinecones tie in with the natural effect.
- Stockings made from burlap are simple and festive, and they add interesting texture.
- Complete the rustic look with accessories such as bare branches, small wooden toys or antique ornaments.
Classic Christmas Mantel
Traditional Christmas mantel decorations are all about a red and green colour scheme used with traditional elements such as holly, jingle bells, and evergreens.
- Start with a classic evergreen wreath and garland for the mantel.
- Tie a wide red bow on the wreath and weave ribbon through the garland.
- Choose a simple stocking such a red one with white fur cuff, or use more elaborate styles to contrast with the other traditional pieces.
- Finish the look by nestling candles into the garland along the mantel top.
Elegant Christmas Mantel ideas
To add elegance to decorating the mantel for Christmas, choose pieces that sparkle and shine. A single colour scheme ups the style factor and helps turn the mantel into a bold focal point. Red is a classic Christmas colour, but is especially strong when it sparkles.
- Make a wreath from a round foam form wrapped in red tinsel garland.
- Personalize it with hanging mirrored or jeweled ornaments.
- Use the same type of garland along the mantel top.
- Try to find matching red glitter miniature trees to set on top.
- This decorating approach calls for unique stockings.
- Look for trendy styles in unexpected shapes and patterns.
Decorating a mantel and the surrounding fireplace for Christmas is easy when using basic items such as a wreath, garland, and stockings. Choose different styles and accessories to finish the look no matter what design tastes needs to be followed.
I do like the Rustic look for decorating the mantel for Christmas so pretty.
Your Mantle is beautiful.I am doing my in a blue/silver theme for Christmas this year. I live overlooking the ocean and I thought that would look nice!I need to find out where you get your clips to hang the stockings with.I never thought of the ribbon idea. Thanks.
These mantels all look so festive and beautiful for the holidays
these are all beautiful! Some people can take a little of this/that and turn it into beautiful