New Year’s Eve can be a treasured event when parents and children work together to create a family-friendly party complete with a meal, decorations and entertainment. New Year’s Eve is the time for a celebration of new beginnings. Parents and children can make this a special night to spend together. By keeping things simple, a memorable evening can be had by all.
Celebrate New Year’s Eve With A Family Party
A Family-Friendly Menu
One of the easiest ways to create a New Year’s Eve snacks that pleases everyone is to prepare a full menu of finger foods. Even the most particular member of the family can find something to enjoy with a variety of choices. In this way the meal can be elaborate or simple, depending on the preferences of each family.
Here are some ideas:
- Fresh fruit: sliced apples, oranges, pears, bananas, grapes
- Fresh vegetables: baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, celery sticks, sliced mushrooms
- Relishes: black or green olives, baby sweet or dill pickles, baby pickled beets
- Chips and pretzels
- A variety of cheese chunks
- Dips: bean, ranch dressing, yogurt, blue cheese dressing, hummus
- Chicken nuggets: real chicken or soy variety
A meal of make-your-own mini pizzas also allows each person to eat according to individual taste. Don’t forget a New Year’s Eve spiked drink for the adults and non-alcoholic beverage for the kids to toast the New Year. Any 100% fruit juice and club soda makes for a festive drink to go with the meal.
Creative Party Decorations
New Year’s Eve can be an opportunity to dress up the home and get it ready for a party. Working together, parents and children can use a few simple materials and a little creativity to make a festive party atmosphere.
- Party hats made from decorated cones of paper
- Noisemakers made from empty plastic soda bottles or cans filled with dried beans or popcorn
- Streamers made from strips of computer paper colored with markers or crayons
- Confetti made by cutting up left over gift wrapping paper or candy wrappers
Activities and Entertainment on New Year’s Eve
Once the food and decorations are ready, it’s time to plan fun things to do. Save movie watching for a different night. Instead, plan an evening of games or a special project to do together.
- Play a fast-paced game of charades
- Pull out all the family’s favorite board games
- Have a scavenger hunt
- Ask each family member to draw a picture of a special event from the past year
- Use large sheets of paper and markers to write down everyone’s hopes, plans, ideas, dreams, and resolutions for the new year to come
- Play the traditional Japanese New Year’s game of Fuku Wari
- Use a variety of brightly colored, washable paints to paint pictures of fireworks
- Put on some great dance music and have a family dance
A New Year’s Eve Party to Remember
With a little bit of planning and some creative energy, families can put together an unforgettable evening to celebrate the arrival of the New Year. With a simple meal, beautiful decorations, and great entertainment, it will truly be a night to remember!