6 Top Sunscreen Tips
Protecting your skin takes a whole lot more than just lathering on some sunscreen. Although the sun is our friend when it comes to providing us with much needed vitamin D, it is not so great for our skin if we get overexposed. Here are 6 top sunscreen tips to keep in mind when hitting the beach and pool this summer. So, enjoy your summer but make sure you protect your skin all season long.
1. Broad spectrum. Make sure you are using a sunscreen that has both UVA & UVB broad spectrum coverage. This refers to the 2 types of ultraviolet sun rays that penetrate our skin when exposed to direct sunlight.
2. SPF. There is no need to use a sunscreen that has a higher SPF than 50. The best ones to look for vary between a SPF 15- SPF 30. These are sufficient when used properly, so don’t be fooled by higher SPF products.
3. Lotions only. Although the aerosol and spray oils seem more easier to apply, they are actually not great because most of the spray blows in the wind and doesn’t get applied to your skin. Stick to sunscreen lotions and make sure they are water resistant. Sports sunscreens also are sweat resistant which is a bonus. Avoid tanning oils because they do not offer full protection against harmful rays.
4. Timing. It is best to apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes prior to sun exposure. This gives it a chance to soak into your skin and offers the most effective protection. Plus, it’s a whole lot easier applying indoors than on a sandy beach.
5. Re-apply. For the best overall protection, reapply sunscreen at least every 2-3 hours. Also, just because it is a waterproof doesn’t mean that another application isn’t required. You can really never over apply, so keep track of your applications and keep at it throughout the day.
6. Don’t miss. Make sure when applying your sunscreen you get all your exposed body spots. The most common missed areas are the tops of your hands and feet, your ears, and don’t forget your knees. If you are not wearing a hat, make sure to apply to your face and forehead.
Thanks for all the tips, sunscreen is so important these days – summer and winter 🙂
These are very important tips. I always wear sunscreen outdoors. I’ve never tried the aerosol ones and you raise a valid point about them.
Great tips! There was a case of a local child whose parents used spray sunscreen on her, she inhaled it and her lung collapsed! Scary stuff!
I really need to be more responsible outside. I always forget my sunscreen.
Protction from the Sum is important all year round.