I am so proud to be Canadian, and living in the National Capital makes it even more special! I hope you will enjoy these 27 signs that you are Canadian, some collected from the internet and others my own, on you know your Canadian when….. I hope you don’t take any serious offence as it’s meant to distinguish who we are: CANADIANS!
YOU KNOW YOUR CANADIAN WHEN:
- You have the tendency to say “eh” after every sentence.
- You Know the Difference of ” Colour + Color ” Or ” Favourite + Favorite ” or ” Centre + Center”
- You know that a “Premier” isn’t a baby born a few months early.
- You know all the words to “If I had a million dollars” by The Barenaked Ladies.
- You drive on a highway, not a freeway.
- You drink pop, not soda.
- You brag that: Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Tom Green, Matthew Perry, Mike Myers, Neve Campbell, Avril Lavigne, Pamela Anderson Lee & many more, are Canadians.
- You design your kids Halloween costume to fit over their snowsuits.
- You are excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada.
- You can complete the phrase: “The good old ____ game is the best ____ you can ____.”
- You stand in “line-ups” at the movie, not lines.
- You automatically read ‘Z’ as ‘Zed’.
- You are in grade 12, not the 12th grade
- You know what a poutine and Beaver Tails are.
- You can drink legally while still a ‘teen’.
- You can sign Bob and Doug McKenzie’s version of the Twelves Day of Christmas (see video above)
- You’re familiar with shows like Kids In The Hall, This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Made In Canada, Red Green, North of 60, Anne of Green Gables, Royal Canadian Air Farce, Due South, Road to Avonlea, Raccoons, Danger Bay, Spirit Bay, Kids of Degrassi Street, Street Legal and maybe Traders, or if you’re older, The Beachcombers, Wayne and Schuster, Don Messer’s Jubilee, Front Page Challenge, and King of Kensington, even if you haven’t watched them personally.
- You leave your car worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put your useless junk in the garage.
- You talk about the weather with strangers and friends alike.
- You participated in “Participaction”.
- You constantly apologize for things, even if they aren’t your fault.
- You are proud of the Cirque du Soleil.
- You know what a Tim Hortons ” double – double ” is.
- You buy hot dogs in packages of twelve and buns in packages of eight.
- Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled in with snow.
- You get milk in plastic bags.
- You know we invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone, short-wave radios, and Superman.
Shayne Koyczan says it so well what it is like to be Canadian
I was born and raised in Montreal, but have been living in Ottawa since 1984. I am very lucky to have met my loving and supportive husband in this city, from which we share two beautiful children. Every year we celebrate Canada Day as a family by attending local community events or simply by having our own unique and fun day at home! How do you celebrate Canada Day?
Please feel free to add in the comments below how You Know You’re Canadian When….