Are you looking for a Christmas or holiday gift idea? These DIY Christmas Gift Basket and Hamper Themed Ideas For Families provide a few suggestions for unique festive gifts for families.
Christmas gift baskets and hampers can make unique and special gift ideas. Finding the right gift for the right person or family can sometime be a major headache. Those looking for gifts with a difference could consider giving DIY themed holiday gift baskets or hampers.
First of all, let’s look at some different types of hampers and gift baskets.
Christmas Gift Baskets And Hampers
Some hampers and baskets are specially designed for the Christmas season. The contents of this kind of gift could, for example, include traditional foods and wines for the holiday. These options come in all shapes and sizes. Larger sized options could contain virtually everything needed for the main Christmas meal with some extras thrown in. Smaller gift baskets could contain a range of seasonal condiments, jams, and chutneys.
Drinks Gift Baskets And Hampers
As an alternative many like to give gifts that are based around alcoholic or soft drinks (or a mix of the two). A hamper or a gift basket may include:
- Fine wines
- Whiskies and other alcoholic bottles
- Specialist soft drinks
Again, these products can range from large luxury hampers through to smaller gift baskets.
Food Gift Baskets And Hampers
Hampers and baskets containing a specific type of food are also popular. So, for example, you can pick a few products to make your basket:
- A range of fine cheeses
- Gourmet foods
- Luxury regional foods
- Biscuits and cookies
- Fresh and dried fruits and nuts
The contents of a food hamper or gift basket may have some Christmas related products in them. They may alternatively simply contain general foods and products.
Dietary Needs Gift Baskets And Hampers
Some people may have special dietary needs that makes it hard for them to enjoy a regular gift of this kind. There are other options here that may be worth considering such as hampers/baskets for:
- Vegetarians and vegans
- Those with celiac disease
- Those with food allergies such as gluten intolerance
How To Make A Homemade Christmas Gift Basket Or Hamper
Buying these items as gifts can work out to be expensive and many will opt instead to make up their own hampers and baskets. This will definitely save some money. It will also help to make a more personalized gift as they can be made up to suit the tastes of the gift recipient. See the video above for ideas on easy Christmas gift baskets.
This is easy enough to do. All that is needed is:
- A hamper, basket or even a pretty decorated box such as the one below.
- A range of items to put in the basket (which could be store bought or homemade)
- Wrapping paper or cellophane paper with a tie twist to wrap the basket
- Ribbon and a bow to decorate the basket
Christmas Themed Gift Baskets And Hampers
Arranging a creative and cheap Christmas gift basket is an alternative to buying a more pricey ready-made basket for a family. Some suggestions below include a movie theatre themed basket, a hot beverage basket, or a dinner for the family gift basket. Also included are additional items that can be added if a more expensive basket is desired.
Movie Night at Home Holiday Gift Basket
This Christmas themed movie night basket is great for a couple or family that enjoy cozy nights at home watching movies.
- Start with a very large bowl as the “basket”. The idea is that this bowl will be saved to be used for popped popcorn. A large plastic bowl will typically cost $2 to $5 at a discount retail store.
- Add a box of microwave popcorn and several packages of movie theatre-style boxed candy.
- For a more expensive basket, add sodas, wine, or beer, a gift card to purchase a new movie.
Hot Beverage Themed Christmas Gift Basket or Hamper
This theme can mix together a variety of hot beverages or just focus on either coffee, tea, or hot cocoa.
- Start with a basket. Add two ceramic mugs. Mugs can be holiday-themed or just a traditional style. Inexpensive mugs can even be purchased at dollar stores.
- For a coffee or hot chocolate themed basket: Add small bags of flavoured ground coffee or a variety of hot cocoa packets. Then include 1 flavoured beverage syrup, such as Torani. Both can be purchased at most grocery stores. For a more expensive basket, add flavoured liquor, such as amaretto or Baileys Irish Cream.
- For a hot tea basket: Inexpensive, bagged teas can be found in any grocery store. Include a variety of boxes of traditional, herbal, and flavoured teas. Another slightly more expensive option is to include a variety of ground tea tins, usually purchased at a specialty food store. Also include a tea infuser ball for this option. Finally, for a more expensive basket, a teapot can be added. Teapots can sometimes be found at discount retail stores for $10 or more.
Dinner For The Family Holiday Gift Basket
This family dinner night gift basket option can be done in a variety of ways, depending on the budget and preferences of the recipient. This example is for an Italian themed dinner.
- Start with a large stockpot as the “basket.” These can run as high as $100 or more; however inexpensive, quality stock pots can be found at Walmart and other discount stores for a low as $10 to $20.
- Appetizer: Include a jar of olives, a pepperoni roll, and crackers.
- Entree: Add a fun shaped pasta and a jar of pasta sauce.
- Dessert: Include a package of biscotti. This Italian cookie can generally be found in the packaged cookie aisle at most grocery stores.
- For a more expensive basket, include a bottle of Italian wine.
Holiday and Christmas gift baskets and hampers can be made for unique and budget-friendly presents. Gift assortments found in stores and online sites are often expensive and impersonal. These DIY Christmas Gift Basket and Hamper Themed Ideas For Families we mentioned above are just a few ideas for the many options for creating affordable gift baskets at home.
Have you given Christmas hampers or gift baskets as gifts before? Did you create a themed hamper or basket? Comment below!