Rugs have a place in every home. You may need a long runner for a hall or an oval rug to complement a coffee table. Maybe you cannot find a design you like or the right colour to make your wallpaper pop. This is where a custom rug would come in handy. Hand-knotted and hand-woven area rugs designed specifically to your liking.
Branding Your Furnishings With A Custom Rug
No two homes are exactly alike. That is because people tend to arrange their homes in a way that suits them and their lifestyles. People who embrace the designs they see in their minds want those patterns in their world. These are the people who design custom rugs. These are the people who decorate to their own liking.
Reasons You May Need A Custom Rug
Sooner or later we all run into a decorating maze. We move into a new home or apartment and our furniture doesn’t fit the same. We have to do some creative arranging to make everything work. Maybe we move into an older house and we do not want to change the vintage wallpaper or hardwood flooring. Maybe our furniture looks bare and cold against the rooms and trim of deep, rich wood. This is just one scenario where you would need custom rugs to warm the room and brighten the area.
Here are a few more:
- The size of the space you want to cover is unusual instead of regular, pre-made rugs.
- The colours of the furnishings do not blend well with the rest of the room.
- The vintage wall or the current wallpaper looks too nice to cover. A custom rug can pull all the colours together.
- The rooms are all carpeted. Putting down floor can break up or identify the room space.
- You need custom rugs with your logo to place at your office.
- A beautiful monogrammed custom rug makes a beautiful wedding gift and the perfect addition to a foyer.
Getting Your Custom Rug Design On Paper
Sometimes we get the design in our heads that we want on our custom rug. We don’t remember where we saw it or if we just made it up. But getting the design from our head to paper is not as easy as it sounds. Maybe you will have to go on a scavenger hunt to get what you need.
Here are some tips:
- Did you see the design on a piece of clothing? Grab your cell phone and start searching. If it is on your clothing, snap a picture of it. You can browse through magazines, the internet, or take a moment to see what your co-workers are wearing. If you see the design or something close to it, get a pic of it.
- Ask for fabric samples or carpet samples at your local home supply store. This can help you narrow down the colours and type of rug you want.
- If you can get a larger carpet sample, you can use a magic marker to draw the design on the sample.
- If you are trying to match your custom rug to your wallpaper or border, adjust your camera to get the closest shot you can. Be sure to adjust the colour settings if you need to.
- If you live near the custom rug designer, take this package to him or her. If they are out of town, you can send them to them, but be sure you give them more than one sample of the colours. Different cameras see colours different.
Sometimes when someone has decided to take the decorating issue into their own hands, they forget something. You may be designing the rug, but the carpet expert has to create it. When they are explaining the process and things that may happen, don’t dismiss them. Listen to what they are telling you. Let them do their job.
When you are out collecting samples and paying attention to the rugs at the local department store, you may think you know what to expect on the price. First of all, the quality rug you will get with a custom order will far surpass the department store’s inventory. The rugs at the store are the same lower grade as the rugs that you want to get rid of. You want a better grade of the rug so it will last longer.
There is one thing you can count on. Using a premium rug vendor pays off. A good rug will last for many years with proper care. There are people who collect Oriental Rugs for hundreds of years.
An average space rug that you purchase at the home supply store usually has a lifespan of about 5-years. Depending upon who you purchase your custom rug from, it should last at least 10-years. But, if the rugs are cleaned properly and handled with proper care, they can last long after that mark. When you are ready to buy your rugs, be sure you inquire about the lifespan of the materials used and if the rug comes with or has available a warranty.
You will love your beautiful floor coverings and we hope this is just the beginning of a beautiful collection.
I have never had a custom designed rug before, but can see where this would be ideal. Each room is different and a rug could make a statement or be the focal point of the room.
Yes, and a more personal touch!
I never thought of getting a custom rug. Great article
I would love to have a customized rug, but my home is to small and crappy for such a beautiful piece of floor art, but they are nice to have
I never knew you could even get custom rugs made . I’ve been having a hard time picking one for the living room . I have an idea of what I want in my head but can’t find it . I should definitely look into this .
Wow, I did not even know you could design and order a custom rug. I will have to look into this further. Thanks!