We’re crazy for kale at our household and love kale many different ways. My fave is using black kale in a salad with organic sundried tomatoes and lightly toasted pine nuts, maybe some sesame seeds and salt. I’ll add raw kale to my smoothies and we’ll sometimes just steam it plain as a side with dinner. I realize many find kale bitter and difficult to eat despite it being a superfood. Behold the mighty kale chip! This little guy can turn anyone into a believer. They are so yummy! I haven’t met anyone who hasn’t liked them. My 4 year old and 20 month old gobble them up like candy, yes I said candy.
They are fairly simple and inexpensive to make and I still can’t get over how expensive they are in the stores. Here’s how to make a delicious kale chip:
1. Wash your kale (I’ll usually do this in the morning and leave it to dry in the sink all day or for a few hours)
2. Tear the kale up into pieces (just rip it off the rib) – make sure the kale is dry!
3. Brush the bottom of a glass baking dish with olive oil and place the kale in the dish
4. Drizzle some olive oil onto the kale and brush it on or if you like, massage the oil in with your hands (I rarely do this and mostly use the same brush and dab the oil on the kale – 1 minute max)
5. Sprinkle some sea salt and bake in the oven at 250 for an hour or 325 for 20 minutes – until the kale is crispy
Voila! They won’t last long. Try it out and let me know what you think. Enjoy!