In June, rainbow is everywhere. Come July, everything turns red, white, and blue. At least, on the American side of the border. That’s just one reason this berry salsa recipe really pops as a summertime dish. It’s a colourful and vibrant expression of those three popular national colours (lots of countries use red, white, and blue!). To make the July 1st Canadian berry salsa version, you could replace the blueberries with raspberries, but who can resist fresh blueberries at this time of year?
What is Berry Salsa?
Berry salsa is not too different from a berry fruit salad. In fact, it may be a bit of a distinction without a difference. The main thing that makes this concoction really flavourful and worth making is the cheese curds and the fresh mint that compliment the berry flavours so well. First, the squeaky cheese adds texture and creaminess to the mix. If you don’t have curds, that’s alright, too. I also use pearl mozzarella balls pinched into halves. The mint is what really makes this fruit mixture more of a salsa than a triple berry salad. It adds some zip. Also, the smaller the strawberries and cheese pieces are, the more dippable your triple berry salsa is.
How to Serve Berry Salsa
You can eat this berry salsa with a spoon or dip your favourite crackers. It’s also really good with cookies like this Berry Shortcake Cornmeal Cookie. Depending on how chunky you make your salsa, you can use it for different things. It makes a fantastic appetizer, side dish, or dessert topper. It’s wonderfully refreshing on a hot afternoon or a warm evening out on the porch. Whether it’s an appetite appeaser at your outdoor barbecue or simply a quick sweet treat to enjoy any time of day, chopping up some berries for this easy mix of basic fresh components is always a good idea. Even enjoy it hot over ice cream!
Berry Salsa Recipe
Serves: 4 as a side dish
Prep: 10 minutes
- 1 regular package of strawberries
- 1 package blueberries
- 1 package Pearls Bocconcini balls (also called pearl mozzarella balls. You could also use cheese curds.)
- 1 sprig of mint
How to Make a berry Salsa
Wash strawberries and blueberries. Cut tops off strawberries. Diced the strawberries. Place in medium bowl.
Add in blueberries and pearl mozzarella balls. I like to pinch the balls in halves to make it smaller then add them.
Chop mint small and add to the bowl. Toss well and keep in fridge until ready to serve.
- 1 Bowl
- 1 lbs fresh strawberries regular package
- 1 pint fresh blueberries regular package
- 200 gr package Pearls Bocconcini balls also called pearl mozzarella balls. You could also use cheese curds.
- 1 sprig mint
- Wash strawberries and blueberries. Cut tops off strawberries. Diced the strawberries. Place in medium bowl.
- Add in blueberries and pearl mozzarella balls. I like to pinch the balls in halves to make it smaller then add them.
- Chop mint small and add to the bowl. Toss well and keep in fridge until ready to serve.