Short Crust Pastry
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
2. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. Do not overwork.
3. Add water by sprinkling over the dough and stir as you sprinkle. Stir to make the dough come together. You can use your hands to help mold the dough (like playdough).
4. Divide dough in half (one bigger than the other) and form into a ball. Flatten each half into a round disc. Wrap in plastic wrap or container, and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
1. Heat large skillet over medium heat and add oil.
2. Add ground meats, salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned and just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add onions, spices, and water, and cook for 5-10 minutes. Let cool completely.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Lightly flour work surface. Roll each pastry round into an 11-inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick.
3. Use one pastry round to a line a glass pie plate.
4. Add tourtière filling to pastry shell. Cover with a second pastry pastry round.
5. Seal edges with tines of a fork or fingers.
6. Brush pastry with egg yolk (optional).
7. Score the top of the tourtière with a paring knife as this will allow steam to escape while baking.
8. Bake tourtière for 15 minutes at 450 degrees F. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake until crust is golden brown for about another 20-30 minutes.