Women’s Health Five Tips to Keep a Healthy down there this Summer
July may already soon be over, but summer certainly isn’t! I find myself enjoying (and appreciating!) more and more the beautiful summer sun during clear afternoons, whilst relaxing on the patio with a glass of wine (or two!) in hand. Being able to soak up the sun without worrying about being surrounded by inches of snow is quite the cathartic Canadian feeling, as is enjoying the beautiful weather in a cool pool, a hot tub, or at the beach! Don’t be fooled, however; warmer weather can also bring an incredibly unnerving “itch” no woman enjoys talking about. And oh, I wish I could be talking about those pesky bug bites, but we all know which “itch” I’m referring to — that’s right, yeast infections.
It’s more common than you might think. Did you know that about 5% of women in Canada suffer from recurrent yeast infections? This makes up for more than four infections per year! One of the most common causes behind yeast infections are heat and humidity. If moisture remains trapped, particularly in warm, dark areas, these conditions are perfect for yeast to reproduce, causing an irritating itch, burning, and discomfort. You know exactly what I’m talking about if you’ve ever had to endure one for a few days.
Thankfully, the good news is that with a few simple tips, you’ll be in a better position to avoid that pesky itch this summer season!
- Remember to dry off: Relaxing in a hot tub is the perfect way to enjoy a warm, summer evening. However, yeast grows best in a moist environment, making hot tubs a breeding ground for unwanted infections. This means it’s important to dry off well afterwards and change into dry clothes right away. Use this same approach when spending the day at the beach or pool. Additionally, remember not to spend long hours in a hot tub, either!
- Know your pH: Many vaginal health issues, including odour, itchiness and yeast infections stem from an unbalanced pH. RepHresh™ Gel is a gynecologist recommended product and clinically proven to be pH balanced which can help to eliminate feminine odour and relieve feminine discomfort.
- Wear cotton undies: Unfortunately, your tight skinny jeans may not be the best option this summer. Warm, tight clothing allows for little oxygen movement making the perfect breeding ground for yeast. If you must rock the skinnies, wear cotton underwear.
- Take healthy measures: RepHresh™ Pro-B reduces the number of urogenital pathogenic bacteria and yeast on vaginal surfaces. It’s clinically tested and works by balancing the yeast and bacteria that are naturally present in a woman’s body to help restore and maintain proper vaginal flora. Try adding one capsule to your daily routine to keep your body on track and ensure nothing slows you down this summer!
- Wipe the right way: While on the royal throne, be sure to wipe from the front-to-back with toilet paper and to never reuse the same sheets twice. Wiping from the back-to-front will spread unwanted bacteria and raise the risks of getting a UTI (urinary tract infection) or yeast infections.
Are you ready to beat the summer heat and conquer the “itch” this summer?
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Church and Dwight. To make sure these products are right for you, always read and follow the label.