Do you enjoy eating Chinese food at a restaurant and would like to make your favourite meal at home? I sure do! I decided to prepare a Sweet and Chicken Stir-Fry without the pineapples, since they are not a family favourites (I love them); however, I did add the pineapples in the notes of the recipe if you would like to try it with them. The sweet and sour sauce would be great served with chicken, beef, or shrimp.
When I make a recipe, I try to add my own version to it with the ingredients that my family likes, so feel free to add your favourite veggies, meat, or tofu to this recipe. If you find the sauce is too thick, just add more water. The sauce is sweet and not too sour.
If you decide to make this recipe, please let me know in the comment below how you liked it and if you modified it.
- 3 to 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup cane or white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tsp. of sesame oil or olive oil
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1/4 cup of white onions
- 2 peppers (orange, green, red, or yellow)
- 2-3 cups of fresh bean sprouts
- 6 mushrooms sliced
- Prepare rice according to instructions on the packaging
- Slice chicken into small pieces and put in a large bowl
- Cut garlic into small pieces
- In a medium size bowl combine, sugar, brown sugar, white vinegar, water, soya sauce, ketchup, garlic and cornstarch. Coat chicken with marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive or sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir pepper, carrots, onions, and mushrooms until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add bean sprouts and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade, reserving liquid. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive or sesame oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chicken until slightly pink on the inside, about 2-3 minutes per side, and add reserved marinade to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink in the middle about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve chicken over rice and add veggies on top or to the side.
You can add your favourite veggies or water chestnuts, etc.. And if you like pineapples, add 1 can pineapple chunks/tidbits in juice ( just don''t add as much water if you will use the pineapple juice from the can)