In my house we have two moods where bananas are concerned…eat them like wildfire, can’t keep enough in the house to make everybody happy, or OMG I totally hate bananas and they sit there and go brown, untouched, uneaten. The problem is that between phase 1 and phase 2 there is no warning, so I always end up with bunches of bananas rotting on the counter. Sigh. I started throwing them in the freezer so that I always have bananas on hand to whip up my favourite banana bread. On a snowy afternoon, like today, we could all use a piece of this straight out of the oven, makes the house smell yummy too!
- 3 medium bananas, extra ripe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (or 2 tbsp applesauce)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Mash bananas.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove loaf from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold.