I can’t believe back to school is just around the corner! When I start thinking about the kids heading back to the classrooms, it also makes me wonder what they will eat for their after school snacks. Ever since my kids were home alone, it always seems to be an issue at our house as to what which snacks to eat when they come home from school. I want them to eat healthy nutritious snacks and remind them constantly. As they are now teenagers, I can’t say it’s any easier as the bars, cookies, and popcorn are well from reach. I try to imply to eat healthy, but when they get home they are hungry almost for a dinner meal since they had lunch at 11 am. If I am not home, I remind them the snacks to eat or make them a plate of food to be chosen as a snack. Because I know they will be starving when they get home at 3pm, I try to have on hand fruits or veggies with a protein or carbohydrates to make sure they will be full until supper time.
I would like to share 3 of my children’s favourite super easy snack recipes for after school made with cheese, to be more precise, with Ivanhoe Cheese, award-winning artisan cheeses since 19870, made in Madoc, Ontario.
Ivanhoe Cheese began as a small dairy cooperative in Ivanhoe, Ontario. For over a century, we specialized in artisan aged cheddar. In 1986, we became a private company, expanding our manufacturing operation and our palette with a variety of specialty cheeses. We came full circle in 2008 when we joined with Ontario’s largest dairy cooperative, Gay Lea Foods.
True to our beginnings, we continue to produce award-winning artisan cheddars, as well as an extensive selection of specialty cheeses including Naturally Smoked Gouda and flavoured Monterey Jacks. We even offer Kosher and Halal varieties. We have the passion of our members and customers to thank for our success. And like to think our company is not unlike our cheese: better with age.
1. Snacks on a Stick: Fruit & Cheese
You can also create your own Snack on a Stick and let your children place their favourite ingredients on a stick.
- 1/2 cup of Ivanhoe Monterey Jack cheese cut in cubes – 1 or 2 cubes per skewer
- 6 red grapes
- 6 green grapes
- 6 strawberries
- 1/2 apple peeled, cored and quartered
- 6 Wooden skewers (5 to 6 inches)
- Alternate green grape, cheese, strawberry, apple and red grape on on a skewer.
2. Cheese Pizza on a Flatbread
- 2 NAAN Traditional Plain Flatbreads
- 4-6 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 1/8 of teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 of teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 of teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 to 1 cup of Ivanhoe Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, oregano, basil and garlic powder; spread 2-3 tablespoons over each Flatbread.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Cut into quarters and serve.
3. Nachos with Organic Tortilla Chips
- 1/2 cup of Ivanhoe Salsa cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup of Gay Lea Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup of cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of Epicure Nacho Cheese Dip seasoning
- 1 bag of Organic Tortilla Chips
- In a small bowl (microwaveable dish), blend the ingredients.
- Cook in a microwave at high for 1 minute. Stir and cook at high for 1 more minute.
- Serve with organic tortilla chips
What are your kids favourite snacks when they come home from school?
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.