I am really loving all the summer produce at the local markets and even at my grocery store. I was in Costco the other day, and saw these adorable eggplants and I just had to pick them up.
I knew right away that I was going to make my favourite roasted eggplant salad with them. This is a family recipe and has always been one of my favourite salads. My Dad always makes it for me during our big holiday feasts. It felt kind of decadent to make it on a Sunday afternoon, for no reason other than I found cute eggplants :).
- 4 small eggplants
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Slice the green tops off the eggplants and cut in half lengthwise.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put cut-side down on a sprayed cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Scoop out insides of the eggplant into a medium size bowl.
- Mash the eggplant.
- Squeeze the lemon and add all the juice into the bowl with the eggplant.
- Add the olive oil, crushed garlic, cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and then serve.