I just love this time of year. The weather is fantastic, everyone is in a great mood, no one is in too much of a rush and oooohhhh that summer produce. My husband and I went to the Carp Market this Saturday to stock up on some of that summer produce goodness. I was so inspired by how fresh and colourful everything looked that I bought a lot of yummy vegetables.
I was pretty excited to get started and turn this produce into a great meal. I decided to tackle the beets first. I washed the dirt off them and cut the greens (leaving about half an inch on them for cooking). Then I just cut them in half, roasted them and made a great beet salad. The whole family loved it, even my 13 year old who usually turns his nose up at beets. They were so fresh and had such great flavor…now I will need to go get some more to make another salad!
- 1 bunch of beets
- olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Wash the beets and trim the greens, leaving 1/2 an inch.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take a cookie sheet and line it with aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice beets in half and place cut-side down on foil.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until soft when pricked with a knife.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Slice off ends and peel the outer skin off the beets.
- Slice in 1/4 inch pieces and place in bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and serve immediately.