There is nothing more comforting on a cold winter’s morning than a warm breakfast. I find it takes the chill off and gives me just the relief I need to head out into the brisk winter air with my dog for her first walk of the day.
Warm breakfasts are not always easy to make during the week, especially if you are rushing out the door for work or school (or both!). Luckily this quick and easy shredded wheat recipe doesn’t take much time at all; and it’s nutritious and delicious! My daughter usually cringes at the thought of eating shredded wheat, but she loves this recipe and always gobbles it up (although I will admit, I put a little extra maple syrup on her serving)!
- 2 pieces of shredded wheat or similar cereal
- 1/4 cup diced fresh apple
- handful of raisins or dried cranberries
- handful of chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- Milk (dairy, almond or soy)
- Place the diced apple in a bowl with some water and microwave for about a minute to soften the apple. If you like your apple crunchy you can skip this step.
- Here's how I prepare my shredded wheat - I gently pour hot boiled water over the pieces and carefully drain the water out (I use a spoon and hold the pieces in the bowl while I tilt the bowl over the sink); I know there are variations, but this is how I do it.
- Sprinkle toppings over your shredded wheat and then pour the desired amount of milk over the cereal. Serve immediately and ejoy!