Many years ago I found a garlic and red pepper spaghetti recipe in LCBO’s Food & Drink magazine. The recipe turned out really well and since then I have made the original and modified versions of the recipe. This year I have started using shallots in a lot of my spaghetti sauces. I love the sweet and mild flavour shallots add to the noodles. In the summer I like adding grilled peppers instead of sauteed peppers in the recipe. Here is my latest variation:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic diced thinly
- 4-5 shallots diced thinly
- 3-4 mixed peppers (red, yellow, orange) grilled
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 packet of whole wheat (or regular) spaghetti
- Cook spaghetti according to instructions on the package.
- Heat oil. Add shallots and garlic. Let cook on med-high until soft and shallots are translucent.
- Cut up the grilled peppers and add.
- Add oregano and mix.
- Add spaghetti to sauce and toss well.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese before serving.