When you start hearing about about skates, helmets and tournaments – oh my, it must be hockey season! My son started playing house league hockey when he was 5 years old and stopped when he was 15. My husband also volunteered as an assistant coach and helped the players improve their hockey skills while having fun on the ice. Any parent that has a child play hockey at an early age can relate to those strenuous 6 am practices on the weekends. My husband and I certainly don’t miss them nor getting up so early!
Between driving our son to endless practices and games, organizing fundraisers, and maintaining his equipment, there’s no denying that being a hockey parent is a busy, but also a tremendously rewarding job. The team camaraderie was infectious and seeing my son’s determination on the ice was priceless. Notwithstanding, the bonding he made with his teammates and laughs parents had at the rink!
These are great tips to prepare for the hockey season to make sure it’s the best one ever:
1) Develop a routine: Because the hockey season is so busy, establishing a scheduled routine is key. This includes making time for homework between school and practice, ensuring the hockey bag is packed ahead of time and coordinating carpool schedules. Pro tip: create a check-list for your child to follow so they can learn to manage their own time and ensure they’re well prepared to hit the ice.
2) Banish smelly gear: It’s always surprising how such a big smell can come from a small kid! Hockey equipment is bound to collect sweat when your kid is skating their heart off on the ice so make sure you stop odors before they start. First, air out all equipment after each use. Do not – I repeat, do not – leave everything in a zipped up hockey bag! Second, regularly wash items that can be machine washed. Pro tip: Use a detergent that’s up to the challenge such as OxiCleanTM HD Liquid Laundry Detergent and Arm & HammerTM Plus OxiCleanTM Cold Water Power Paks – they are my go-to favourites!
3) Maintain a positive attitude: The number one goal (pun intended!) for your child during hockey season should be to have fun. Whether it’s a “win” or “lose” in the end, each game teaches your child how to work as a team and participate in friendly competition. These important life values are the true prize at the end of the season!
4) Get to know your fellow hockey parents: Creating a network of other parents can add a fun social element to the experience for you. Plus, it’s a great way to stay connected and easily be able to coordinate carpools and call-in a last minute favour if you can’t make a practice.
5) Make some memories: Your before hockey advice and after hockey breakfast runs are the stuff memories are made of. Pro Tip: Create a pre or post hockey tradition for you and your son or daughter to share!
What are your tips for surviving the hockey season?
Church and Dwight Hockey Giveaway
To help ensure you’re ready, we are giving away some great hockey season essentials for at home and on the road games:
- OxiCleanTM HD Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Arm & HammerTM Plus OxiCleanTM Cold Water Power Paks
- Arm & HammerTM Baking Soda
- Arm & HammerTM SpinbrushTM battery powered toothbrush The Ultimate Spider-Man TM
- OrajelTM Spider-ManTM Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste
The ARV of this prize package is $35!
This giveaway is open to Canadian residents and ends at 11:59 EDT on November 7th, 2016.
Rules: Open to Canadian residents 18 +. You have 48 hours to reply by email once you are notified as the winner. If you don’t, we will draw another entry. Prize is non-transferable. No substitution or cash equivalent of prizes is permitted. The selected winner must correctly answer a mathematical question in order to win the prize mentioned above. The Ottawa Mommy Club is not responsible for prize fulfillment and for the delivery/shipment of the prize(s) mentioned above. For our complete set of rules, please click here.