As a dedicated soccer and hockey family, our household was invited to take part in the Sun-Maid® Canadian Family Recipe Contest. All entries have a chance to win a scrumptious Sun-Maid® catered brunch for 10 people just in time for Father’s Day. All entrants are automatically entered into a draw to win Sun-Maid® Raisin Bread for a year. Using Sun-Maid® Raisin Bread as inspiration and key ingredient, participants create an original recipe to be judged by leading Canadian chef and dad of three, Bob Villeneuve.
The first recipe that came to mind was a Raisin Bread Pudding. During hot spring/summer days, I tend to cook less using the oven, therefore, this recipe is ideal since you bake it in the microwave. It’s so easy to you create a perfect pudding every time. The pudding can be eaten at breakfast, as a snack or for dessert. As you can see, I got some help making the pudding. 🙂
- 6 slices of Sun-Maid® Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread cut into cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup of Sun-Maid® Raisins
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar ( I used Demerara style sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 large eggs
- Ground Cinnamon
- Parchment Paper
- In a microwavable 2 litre size dish, mix the Sun-Maid® Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread, the Sun-Maid® Raisins, and the diced apple.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla until it they are all blended well.
- In a 1 litre glass bowl, add the milk and butter, and microwave at High for 5 minutes.
- Gradually incorporate the egg, brown sugar and vanilla mixture into the milk mixture, and stir. Pour all over the bread mixture.
- Sprinkle dish with cinnamon.
- Cover with parchment paper.
- Microwave at 50% for 14 minutes.
- If you eat while it's hot, the bread is moist. If you prefer it to be firmer, wait to serve until it's warm or cold.
- You can add ice cream, whipped cream and/or maple syrup. (not mandatory, but super yummy!)