Being a mother of two children with severe food allergies has made me a very resourceful dessert wizard! My son is allergic to eggs and my daughter is allergic to tree nuts, so buying a ready-made dessert can be pretty challenging. While it used to be impossible to find anything that was nut-free, now there are more options but they often aren’t egg-free as well. Over the years I have gone through a lot of great cookbooks and tried out a bunch of new recipes, always trying to find something new and tasty. One of my kids’ favourite desserts that meets all of our allergy requirements is one that I have been making with my own mother since I was a child. It is a raspberry mousse that is egg-free, nut-free and gluten free too 🙂 It is super easy to make, always a great end to any meal, light and airy enough that it is perfect on a hot summer’s day. I have no idea where the original recipe came from, but here is my mother’s version:
- 1 package raspberry jello
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 500ml carton of whipping cream
- fancy cookies for garnish if desired
- Prepare the raspberry jello as per package instructions in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the frozen raspberries.
- Put in fridge and check often until the mixture is just about set.
- While jello mixture is in the fridge, whip the cream until peaks form.
- When jello mixture is almost set, stir in the whipping cream. Mix until fully blended.
- Chill for a few hours until time to serve.
- Garnish with cookies.