Make Canadian Turkey the Centerpiece of Your Thanksgiving Celebrations! #CDNTradition #Giveaway CAN 10/07
The fall season is upon us! The days are a little cooler, and the trees are beginning to change colours all around us. These are just two of the tell-tale signs that Thanksgiving is on its way! It is one of the holidays many Canadians look forward to, whether it is celebrated with a large group of family and friends, or if it is more of an intimate affair. What is the way most Canadians like to commemorate this annual occasion? With Turkey! It is usually the centrepiece of this holiday meal.
Though turkey is traditionally roasted whole in the oven for this occasion, it is available in so many different cuts at your local grocery store! You can find Canadian turkey sliced, ground, as drumsticks, breasts and even as bacon! If the traditional roast turkey is not what you like to gobble during Thanksgiving, then try one of these other options to make this holiday special for you and start a Thanksgiving tradition with it!
My family loves sitting down to a roasted bird every Thanksgiving. Whether it is just our immediate family or if we are amongst a rafter of family and friends, seeing the golden-brown bird presented to the table is what we anxiously await each year.
Some people find tackling this big bird a bit daunting, but Canadian Turkey has shared their foolproof Whole Bird How To tips to get your turkey from store to your Thanksgiving table with ease! Worried about what you will do with your turkey excess? They also give some fabulous hints in their recipe section on how to prepare some tasty turkey leftover dishes your family can enjoy for the rest of the week! If serving a large turkey is not in the cards for your family’s needs, Canadian Turkey also has on hand a large library of scrumptious recipes to enjoy a fantastic feast that works for you!
Below is a recipe for a Classic Half Roast Turkey to get you fired up about this year’s Thanksgiving meal!
- ½ turkey, 3-4kg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 6 large carrots
- One bunch fresh rosemary
- 3 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- 1/2 tbsp ground rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp ground thyme
- If your bird is frozen, place it in the refrigerator overnight to defrost.
- Pat the bird dry with paper towels.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub both sides of the turkey with olive oil.
- Combine all spices to make a rub. Sprinkle generously onto both sides of the bird.
- Slice your onions roughly into 1-inch rounds. Peel and wash the carrots.
- Pour wine and chicken broth into your roasting pan. Line the bottom with onions, whole carrots, unpeeled garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs. Place the bird on top of all the vegetables, cut side down.
- Cook the turkey for 1 ½ - 2 hours until cooked through. Test for doneness with a meat thermometer. Turkey should reach an internal temperature of 170°F (77°C) in the breast and 180°F (82°C) in the thigh.
- Remove turkey from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Here’s an easy and quick way to make some homemade gravy to serve with your bird.
- Take your pan drippings and skim all but a few tablespoons of the fat away. Pour into a saucepan.
- Unpeel the garlic. Add the garlic and half the cooked onion to the saucepan. Blend with a hand blender.
- Combine 1 tbsp corn starch with ½ glass of milk until dissolved. Add to the saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Lower the heat until mixture thickens and serve in a gravy boat.
Want to find fun and unique ways to prepare turkey this Thanksgiving? Pop over to Canadian Turkey’s website to see the recipes they have in store for you to try, savour and make into a #CDNTradition!
A Canadian Turkey Giveaway!
Canadian Turkey would like for one lucky Ottawa Mommy Club follower by giving away one (1) $75 Amazon Gift Card to help make a fabulous Thanksgiving meal this year!
The ARV of this prize package is $75!
This giveaway is open to Canadian residents and ends at 11:59 EDT on October 7, 2016.
Rules: Open to Canadian residents 18 +. You have 48 hours to reply by email once you are notified as the winner. If you don’t, we will draw another entry. Prize is non-transferable. No substitution or cash equivalent of prizes is permitted. The selected winner must correctly answer a mathematical question in order to win the prize mentioned above. The Ottawa Mommy Club is not responsible for prize fulfillment and for the delivery/shipment of the prize(s) mentioned above. For our complete set of rules, please click here.