So my little man turned two on September 8th. I can’t believe how fast he’s growing up! One of his favourite things now a days, are construction trucks. Basically anything on wheels he’s obsessed with! So what better way to celebrate his second birthday then to make him a construction cake!
Here’s the how to!
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp (194g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (68g) cake flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/2 Tbsp warm water
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3 1/2 Tbsp rainbow sprinkles
- chocolate icing
- chocolate chip cookies
- Small construction toys.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse sugar until super fine, about 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together half of the sugar, the cake flour and the salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, water, vanilla and almond extract until well combined, about 2 minutes. Switch to a hand mixer and whip mixture on medium speed while slowly adding remaining sugar to mixture, until medium peaks form. Fold in sprinkles.
- Make sure to grease your pans with a cooking spray. For a more crunchy exterior you can use butter.
- Then pour into two cake round pans and one rectangle pan. (I do not have dimensions as I just used odds and ends pans I had laying around.)
- I baked them on 350, checking every 20 minutes until they were golden brown on the tops. This took about an hour, because I had odd pans the time varied so just keep an eye out.
Now for the “FUN” part.
Once you get your cakes out of the pans assemble them as follows——>
Biggest cake (slab) on the bottom and then I stacked the two circle cakes on top. It just depends on what shape and size of cake you make, these are how mine turned out.
Next step is to ice it. I used Chocolate icing and chocolate chip cookies. I iced the whole cake and even the serving pan. I then crushed up cookies, broke them and placed them to make it look like the construction toys were working with dirt and rocks.
And Voilà! There you have it, your own homemade with love construction cake.
Hope you enjoy!
Until next time,