Over the years, so many friends have asked me to share my recipe for spanakopita. I always promise to e-mail it to them but then life gets in the way and I forget. Here’s a way to share with my friends and everyone out there who loves spanakopita and would love to know how to make it as well as those of you who have never had the opportunity to try this delicious Greek dish.
Spanakopita is a staple in the Greek diet. It can be served as a cold or warm appetizer or as the main meal for a healthy lunch for you or the kids. Spanakopita can also be prepared in advance and placed in the freezer prior to baking. Don't know what to make for dinner, just grab that spanakopita out of the freezer and pop it in the oven when you're ready.
- 4 bags spinach (approximately 1kg)
- 1 package phyllo pastry (thawed)
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- 1/2 bunch dill
- 2 eggs
- 300g feta cheese
- 1 cup olive oil
- Cut off any hard stems from spinach.
- Fill sink with water and carefully rinse the spinach.
- Grabbing a handful of spinach at a time, squeeze any excess water from the spinach and place in a large bowl.
- Chop the spinach and place in a large bowl.
- Chop green onions and dill and place in bowl with spinach.
- Crumble feta cheese into bowl with spinach.
- Add eggs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of olive oil into the spinach mix.
- Using both hands, combine all ingredients well, scrunching all the ingredients together to ensure all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Using a brush or a spray bottle, coat bottom of pan with olive oil.
- Carefully place one phyllo sheet at a time into pan, coating with olive oil after each sheet.
- When you have placed half the phyllo sheets into the pan, add the entire spinach filling, spreading to cover the entire pan.
- Cover the spinach filling with the remaining phyllo sheets, one at a time, coating with olive oil as previously.
- Place the pan in the middle rack of a 350C oven for about 5 minutes to soften the phyllo pastry.
- Remove spanakopita from oven and using a sharp knife, gently cut into squares.
- Place back into oven and bake for approximately 1 hour or until the phyllo is golden in colour and crispy to the touch.
- Let spanakopita cool.
- Can be served warm or cold! Enjoy!
Don't have olive oil, you can swap out the olive oil for unsalted butter instead.