SO lets face it, sometimes cooking is a giant pain in the butt! Really, why can’t we all just be filthy Rich and have personal chefs? Stop dreaming Courtney, let’s be real. Coming up with new and exciting meals will have anyones head spinning( maybe just mine) It’s hard finding anything lately that my threenager will eat. One day its a cereal binge, the next only PB&J’s….. I’ve been trying to find different ways to sneak veggies into our diet. Oh how I wish I could wave a magical mommy wand and POOF, he’d be munching on some kale and every other magical healthy thing you could think of.
Alas, that is not the case. SO! Why not take a classic crowd pleaser and turn it into something new?
I had bought some pie crusts (yup STORE bought, I was lazy) and had thought about making a pot pie at some point. I ended up having nothing for the pot pie but the crusts… didn’t think that one through. SO to Pinterest it was! I found a great idea to turn boring old chicken pot pie into a pizza pot pie. I put my own little spin on it, as I’m sure you will do to yours!
I hope you enjoy!
Pizza Pot Pie Recipe
- 2 store-bought pie crusts
- one jar of Classico sweet basil marinara spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound of ground beef
- sausages I used mild Italian ( I used three large ones )
- 2 to 3 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 2 mozzarella Kraft singles
- one egg
- a tablespoon of oregano
- Preheat your oven to 400°
- I baked one pie crust for 15 minutes until it was golden brown, set aside.
- Brown your ground beef add it to a pot of your spaghetti sauce.
- Add the 2 to 3 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- I chopped up the sausage and put it in the food processor (you can easily take it out of its casing and brown it in with the ground beef) mine were left over so I did it that way.
- Stir your sauce well. I added some pepperoni to the filling and I filled the piecrust.
- *I was left with lots of filling left over so I froze the rest.*
- Shred your craft single cheese, and lay it on top of the pepperoni.
- Take your second piecrust and lay it on top, pinch all of the sides so that the piecrust sticks to the bottom crust.
- Now take your egg, beat it and add your tablespoon of oregano and mix.
- Wash the top of the pie crust with a little bit of your egg wash, so that it is lightly covered.
- Slice an X in the middle of the pie, very finely to allow heat to escape.
- Add some pepperoni to the top of your piecrust.
- I baked mine for 15 minutes to start, then another 10 to 15 minute. ( I kept a close eye on it 5 mins, peek at it to see if it's golden)
- You want to basically bake it until the top layer crust is golden brown, and becomes nice and crunchy.
- Once it is Cooked, let it rest for a good 5 to 10 minutes! If you cut into it right away all the filling will just spill out...that's unfortunately what I did and it spilled everywhere😑
- You can easily fix this by cooking it in individual ramekins, like you would a chicken pot pie. That way you can just eat it right out of the container! Less clean up to!
- Let your pie sit for a little bit, the cheese starts to harden up and hold it together.
- You can add any additional ingredients to your filling! Pretty much what ever you like on your pizza. My suggestion would be to cook them lightly firs, to insure they are fully cooked once added to the filling.
- Serve and enjoy!
Until next time,