My kids hate leftovers. Even my husband isn’t a big fan. This leaves me struggling to come up with new and interesting ways to re-invent them so that they look like BRAND NEW meals…as opposed to boring old leftovers. When the kids were smaller, I had a lot more leftovers to deal with and one of the biggest culprits during the summer was barbecued steak. I would always make three and we would end up eating two or two and a bit. The next day there wouldn’t be enough steak to feed all four of us again, and there was no way anyone but me was going to eat it anyhow.
While on vacation with my in-laws one summer, they made this amazing steak salad with the leftover barbecue goodies and the veggies in the fridge. Everyone loved it and I have been making it ever since. I really just take whatever is in my fridge and toss it all together. And of course I bill it as steak SALAD for the family so they miss the fact that they are in fact eating leftovers. I often serve it with homemade bread or garlic bread to fill up those growing kids’ stomachs. This is absolutely one of our go-to meals for the summer.
- Barbecue steak, cut up into cubes
- Shredded cheese
- Romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite size pieces
- Grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Carrots, sliced thinly
- Cucumber, sliced
- Avocado, peeled and sliced
- 4 oz red wine vinegar
- 6oz olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put all of the salad ingredients into a bowl. I don't toss them, I usually layer them, and then everyone can toss or eat in the order that they please. Mix the dressing ingredients together (I do this in a dressing shaker so that it gets all frothy) and then let everyone dress their salad to their taste.