Are you looking for an amazing holiday recipe that will have your guests in awe and wanting more for dessert? This Peppermint Meringue Cookies recipe is so easy to make even though it looks like it came from the bakery. It’s also ideal to cook with the kids and make it a fun afternoon spent with the family in the kitchen.
Did you know that the origin of meringue is quite ambiguous as some say it was discovered in France, others in Germany or in the Swiss village of Meiringen. Nevertheless, thank you to the person that discovered beaten eggs white with sugar and cream of tartar make such a succulent treat!
- 4 Egg Whites
- ½ teas. Vanilla
- ¼ teas. Salt
- ¼ teas. Cream of Tartar
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Peppermint Hershey’s Kisses
- 2 Mini Candy Canes, finely crushed
- Preheat oven to 250˚.
- In a mixing bowl whisk Egg Whites until foamy and forming soft peaks, 3-5 minutes at medium speed if using a mixer.
- Add the Vanilla, Salt and Cream of Tartar and whisk until stiff peaks form, 3-5 minutes at high speed if using a mixer.
- Slowly whisk in the Sugar, if using a mixer at medium high speed should take about 1-1 ½ minutes.
- Put the meringue into a pastry bag with a star tip.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap and place Hershey’s Peppermint kisses on the parchment about 2 inches apart.
- Pipe meringue around the bottom of the kisses and then swirl to the top all in one motion.
- Sprinkle a small amount of crushed Candy Cane over the cookies.
- Place into the oven at 250˚ and immediately reduce the heat to 175˚. Bake for 3 hours then turn off the heat and let cool in the oven another 45-60 minutes. This prevents them from cracking. Remove and let cool.
- They will be light, crisp and airy.
- Serve or store in an airtight container.