This is a simple meal that will usually feed our family for a few days. We start with purchasing a large Costco package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs I usually use half of the package for this recipe, and as it is cooking in the slow cooker, I prepare the rest of the chicken as either little cordon bleu’s or pounded flat breaded chicken. The following recipe is for what we make in the slow cooker, and it is s.i.m.p.l.e !
- 1/2 package of Costco skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 bottle of Presidents Choice brand Verde Salsa Sauce. or any other green “Verde” style salsa sauce would work fine
- 2 medium yellow onions
- Flat tortilla bread
- your favorite burrito fix ins (lettuce, cheese, diced tomato)
- sour crème, salsa
- (optional) Guacamole
- Dice Onions roughly and add to crockpot, put chicken over onions and pour bottle of Verde sauce to cover all ingredients. I like to swish a small amount of water into the jar to get every last bit of goodness. Give mixture a little “wiggle” to make sure that sauce has slid under the meat and onions. Cover and cook on High for 6 hours. With a wooden spoon stir up mixture and chop up meat so it looks stringy. Continue to cook for another hour. While this is cooking you can prepare your “fix ins” I set these aside in little covered bowls so the kids can see and choose there own items on their burrito’s.
- Spread small amount of sour crème, salsa and Guacamole on small tortilla bread. put meat mixture and cheese, then add fix ins and roll up. Don’t fill too much or it will be hard to fold up, and will fall apart.
- This meat mixture is not only great as burritos, but we like to freeze a bit of it in small quantities so we can later put it on Nachos. It is also quite delicious in a bowl with some cheese sprinkled on top.
By OMC Blogger, Otownmommy