I am so happy to finally see grass! It’s still yellowish, but at least there isn’t any snow left! Spring is finally here! Maybe if it’s warm enough, I will be able to wear my high heel shoes rather than my booties for Easter on Sunday. I am looking forward to spending quality time this weekend with both my husband’s family and mine. When my kids were younger, we started an Easter egg hunt every year. Even if they are now teenagers, we still have one in our house. I add chocolate eggs and/or candies into colourful plastic eggs and hide them all over the house. It’s a bit hard to hide them outside as we live on one acre lot that is pretty much an open field, so not too many places to hide the eggs. The kids wait patiently in their room as I hide the eggs and then the race is on! They look on top, behind, and under the furniture and move around the decorations on the shelves. Now the best part is counting how many eggs they have and opening them to see which chocolate or candies I bought this year. I try to purchase different chocolate and candy brands every year. After the hunt, we get ready to head out for a succulent brunch!
Another tradition on Easter is to make a special homemade desert. This year, I opted for a Colourful Easter Surprise Cupcakes. I decided to add food colouring, so the cupcakes would be green, blue and pink in the spirit of Easter!
The surprise is an M&M egg in the centre of the cupcake.
What are your Easter family traditions?
Please let me know by writing a comment below!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Gay Lea Spreadables Butter with Canola Oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 18 small chocolate covered eggs, like M&M eggs
- Add food colouring to batter (blue, red, or green) optional
- Butter Icing:
- 1/3 cup of Gay Lea Spreadables Butter with Canola Oil
- 3 cups of icing sugar (add more if needed)
- 3 tablespoons of milk (add more if needed)
- 1 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 10 drops of food colouring (blue, red or green)
- 1 cup of shredded sweetened coconut
- 10 drops of blue and 10 drops of yellow food colouring (you can add or omit a few drops to make your preferred green colour)
- Jelly beans
- M&M chocolate covered eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Use 18 colourful paper liners.
- In a small bowl, add together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the Gay Lea Spreadables butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Fill each muffin cup 1/3 full, and place a chocolate egg in the center of each. Top with remaining batter until cups are 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until you insert a toothpick in the middle of the cupcake and it comes out without any batter.
- Leave on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Beat the butter, the icing sugar, the milk, and the vanilla until desired consistency.
- Add food colouring (start with a few drops and add until desired colour).
- Apply the icing on the cupcakes.
- Mix the food colouring in a small bowl and add coconut.
- Mix together.
- Add on top of icing.
- Top with jelly beans or M&M chocolate covered eggs.