I just love scones! My mother is British so I blame my scone love-affair on her. One of my favourite things to do is go to the Chateau Laurier and have high tea and gorge on scones and cream and preserves. Happy sigh.
Having two kids with food allergies, my scone affair has hit some road blocks. No more just stopping by the bakery to bring them home. No more heading out to a cafe to have one on a Sunday morning. I had to find a way to make them myself, without eggs, and get them to taste good.
When my boy was first diagnosed with his egg allergy, my mother-in-law mailed me the book Bakin’ Without Eggs by Rosemarie Emro. This book has so many great recipes in it, and of course there is a great scone recipe in it as well. Her recipe calls for nuts, so I take those out, as well as the dried cherries, as I am just not a fan. For fun I add chocolate chips sometimes, but they are just as good plain. Here is the recipe with my modifications:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tbsp to sprinkle on top
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut up
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 tsps vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, butter, buttermilk*, and vanilla; with a fork, blend until mixture forms a dough, then fold in chocolate chips. *I make my own buttermilk by mixing 1 cup of milk and 1 tsp of vinegar and microwaving for 1 minute.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly butter a cookie sheet.
- Shape into scone shaped mounds and place on the cookie sheet 2 inches apart (they will spread). Sprinkle each evenly with remaining sugar for a frosted top. (I use a castor sugar for this)
- Place in oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes (they will be browned on the bottom). Mine are always ready after 12 minutes.
- Cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove to wire rack.
I am happy to say that my kids are now scone aficionados like their mother. In fact, I just made a batch and I may not get one as they may have gobbled them all up while I was writing this!