It seems like the never ending winter this year! Therefore, I have been preparing a lot of comfy food for my family these past few months, including my favourite Chicken Tomato Noodle Soup! I usually just add any vegetables that I have on hand to the broth, but incorporate the ones that I like best with this recipe.
- Broth from a whole chicken (optional)
- 2 Fat free chichen broths (900 ml)
- 2 Low sodium V8 Vegetable Cocktails (156 ml)
- 1/3 cup of Vegi Soup Mix from Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 cup of cooked chicken cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup onions cut into small pieces
- 1/2 of shaved carrots about 1 inch long or diced
- 1/3 cup of celery and/or red peppers, diced (optional)
- 1 tsp of Mrs. Dash
- 1 tsp of parsley
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 3/4 cup of uncooked noodles such as macaroni, bows, or spaghetti cut into small pieces
- If you would like to save the broth from a whole chicken that you are cooking, add a cup of water to the dish before cooking the chicken. When the chicken is cooked, take out from the dish and keep the broth in a container with a lid. Refrigerate at least 12 hours or overnight. The fat from the chicken will now be on top of the broth, so spoon it out and add the broth to a large cooking pot.
- Add the two chicken broths, the two V8, the onions, the carrots, the Vegi Soup Mix, the cooked chicken pieces, Mrs. Dash, the pepper and the parsley, and cook at medium heat.
- Bring to a boil than cook at medium-low heat.
- Simmer for at least 45- 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the uncooked noodles and cook for another 20-30 minutes or until noodles are tender.