Finally the warm weather is here to stay, and now it’s the time for some BBQ fun and summer activities!
We are very lucky to live on an acre lot in rural Ottawa. Therefore, we have so much open space to play sports and games with the kids. Our favourite summer activities as a family are playing basketball and ball hockey in the driveway, soccer on the left side of the house, and badminton in the backyard. Let’s not forget games like the Ladderball, the Bean Bag Toss, and Washer Toss that are extremely fun to play with friends at home, on the beach, or at family reunions. We try to enjoy the short Canadian summer the best way we can on a daily basis.
Every year, I write a family bucket list to see the activities we can do or visit when my kids are off school:
- A trip to the Unites States
- Shopping in Montreal and visiting relatives
- Fun times at a family cottage
- Attending the Navan Fair, the Kingdom of Osgoode Medieval Festival, and Bluesfest
- Water fun at the Calypso Water Park
- Visiting the Cumberland Heritage Village Museum and Canada Science and Technology Museum
- A Mini Putt family challenge
- Cheer on Ottawa’s Redblacks football team and the Fury FC Soccer team
I pretty much try to plan a one day getaway per weekend to explore Ottawa and other cities, and enjoy spending quality time together as a family.
Of course, a family favourite activity is just relaxing at home on the deck and eating BBQ meals. We actually just bought 2 long chairs to lay and enjoy the sun! My husband is the BBQ chef at our house, and can he ever cook delicious steaks, shish kabobs, and marinated chicken breasts! I usually prepare the main dishes and veggies and just hand them to him to cook on the BBQ. One meal that we cook year round is Chicken Quesadilla and it tastes even better heated on the BBQ! Quesadillas are easy to make at home. For the chicken, you can cook a whole one in the oven and diced it after, cook pieces of chicken breasts in a frying pan or on the BBQ, or, if in a hurry, just purchase a cooked chicken at the grocery store and cut it into pieces. For added flavour, they are delicious served with Gold Premium Sour Cream from Gay Lea Foods.
I hope you will enjoy them as much as we do!
Homemade Guacamole Dip
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup Gay Lea Gold Premium Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Mash the avocados with a potato masher, add the sour cream and mix together.
- Place the puree avocados/sour cream, garlic, cilantro and lime juice in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, diced
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 10 slices of bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
- 2 - 180 g packages of Kraft 3 Cheese Mexicana
- 2 limes
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoon of parsley
- Gay Lea Gold Premium Sour Cream
- Guacamole, for serving (optional)
- Salsa, for serving (optional)
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and cook the chicken breasts until the pieces are tender and no longer pink in colour.
- In another frying pan, at medium heat, or in the microwave, cook the 10 pieces of bacon.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 3rd large frying pan, over medium heat and toss in the green bell peppers, red bell peppers, and onions. Cook and stir until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Layer 1 tortilla with the chicken and vegetable mixture, and then sprinkle with some cilantro, lime juice, the cheeses, and bacon pieces. Top with another tortilla.
- In a small bowl, add the dices tomatoes and the parsley.
- Bake quesadillas at medium heat on the BBQ grill until the cheese is melted and the bottoms start to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Slide the quesadilla from the BBQ onto a cutting board and cut into wedges.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make another 4 chicken quesadillas.
- Serve with Gay Lea Sour Cream, the tomato and parsley mixture, the guacamole, and/or salsa.
What is your favourite BBQ meal?
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.