It’s been almost a month since school started up again. Wow! Where has the time gone? These days, the weather certainly feels like Fall and we’re back into the swing of lunches, after school programs and homework! Homework? This was new to us this year! When I say new to “us”, it’s true. Our oldest started Grade 1 in September and holy cow…tons of homework!
Our big guy was really excited for Grade 1. To him, he felt like he was in with the big kids. “No more Kinders for me Mummy”, he says to me the night before his first day. His biggest excitement was that he was going to get to play in a whole separate playground away from the Kinders. To him, he feels like the Kinders are babies and he’s a teenager. Total cuteness!
Can we talk more about this homework thing? It seems like it’s been a big jump from SK to Grade 1. Every night, our big guy has to write out his spelling words a few times and read…a lot. For a child who can’t fully read yet, this is going to be a year of “firsts”. For example, he wrote his first spelling test last week! This will definitely be the first year that he fully reads. Wow! A whole new window of life opens when you can read!
To celebrate back-to-school “firsts”, Staples invited us into their store to discover how their products can make going back to school easier! I was curious.
I was really intrigued about the Kindle Fire HD and how this e-reader could help our big guy in his reading. Here is what I’ve learned:
– Obviously by the name, its in High-Def and 7″ display
– It’s light, which is great for the kiddies and has 10 hours of battery life! This is always a lifesaver on long trips!
– Has Wi-Fi, games and apps for all ages and of course, TONS OF BOOKS!
– Has parental controls which is a really great feature.
– Email, calendars, high speed browsing and links right up to your Gmail and Outlook. Having it all in one is such a time saver
– Of course, the books…1000’s available through amazon.ca. Not only is this a great tablet for your little ones reading, every member of the family can get their very own books on it. I searched under the Amazon Children’s section for the Kindle and it came up with 10, 753 availabilities. Amazing! This is perfect for our big guy to get his reading on and fully read that first book on his own! He can use it to work hard on his reading through the week and have fun with all the games available on the weekends. Oooh! I also love that it can store tons of books without taking up an entire bookshelf! I’m a lover of reading physical books but if I can avoid a disastrous bookshelf or the fountain of books that overflow into everywhere problem, then I will take that solution!
They’re made by Lug. Heard of them? I’ve been buying Lug products for years. They’re insulated, the quality of fabric is amazing, washable and lasts forever. My big guy loved all the pockets to stash stuff and it has a pocket designed for a tablet. Perfect little spot for the Kindle Fire HD! The Lug Lunch Tacklebox goes great with the backpack.
It’s insulated, keeps everything upright and keeps hot-things-hot and cold-things-cold. That’s everything a parent asks for when packing lunches!
I think we’re pretty organized for back to school…for now. Soon it will be shopping for the first pair of mitts of the season, and then shopping again to replace the lost ones 😉 All I know is that Staples has everything you need for your child’s “firsts” at school.
Keep it Beautiful.
Disclaimer: Yes, Staples supplied me with the product I’ve talked about, but everything is my own words and my own love for their products.
Enter to Win any Lunch Box and Backpack valued up to $100 from Staples!
Giveaway is open to Canadians and will end on October 31st, 2014.
Rules: Open to Canadian residents 18 +. You have 48 hours to reply by email once you are notified as the winner. If you don’t, we will draw another entry. Prize is non-transferable. No substitution or cash equivalent of prizes is permitted. The selected winner must correctly answer a mathematical question in order to win the prize mentioned above. The Ottawa Mommy Club is not responsible for prize fulfillment and for the delivery/shipment of the prize(s) mentioned above. For our complete set of rules, please click here.