Are you looking for something to serve to your family that is very nutritious and very versatile. This recipe for Beans is sure to please. There is a very subtle hint of spice so it doesn’t overpower the taste buds for our kids but you can adjust the flavors to suit your family.
Not only is this another perfect meal for your Meatless Monday but it is also very friendly on the wallet, so much so that I like to call them Budget Beans. Serve them with a side of rice, or eat them just like that. They taste great with some cheese sprinkled on top or loaded into a tortilla.
What I like most about them is that I usually have all the ingredients on hand in my pantry so whipping them up in a flash is real simple. For this recipe I used whole tomatoes that were canned. I chopped them up in the can to minimize the mess and then added them to the pan to. If you have fresh tomatoes this would also be very delicious. I find that the whole tomatoes are better than the diced ones since the skin is removed and doesn’t have the same acidity. You can use fresh cilantro, just double the amount and add it at the same time you add the Kale, or use the tube style of Cilantro. We usually use the tube because it is easy to have on hand.
Flax and Kale are also snuck into the dish to give it an extra boost. The cumin that is added to the dish is not just enticing in aroma and flavor it also adds health benefits to your body.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 challot diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 yellow pepper cored and diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp hot paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- fresh pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp cillantro (fresh paste in tube)
- 1 can of black beans drained and rinced
- 1 can of red kidney beans drained and rinced
- 1 can of whole tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp hulled flax seed grounded
- 1 hand fresh Kale minced
- In a large sauce pan heat 1 tbsp oil over Medium heat. Add diced onions and cook for a few minutes until they begin to become translucent. Add Diced Garlic and cook for another minute longer.
- Add Yellow pepper, cumin, paprika, chili powder, oregano, salt, black pepper Cilantro,and cook for an additional minute.
- Add cans of black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes and flax. Bring heat to Medium High and Stir well until it comes to a bubble.
- Reduce heat to Medium low and simmer for 30 minutes to mix flavours. Last 5 minutes of cooking add fresh Kale and stir well.