My daughter eats these muffins two at a time. They are light, fluffy and filled with flavour. I find myself baking a lot of heavier banana-type muffins in the fall and winter months and this muffin is definitely different in texture and flavour from those. These muffins are a great source of fiber and protein making them a great mid-morning snack.
- 1/4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup plain Balkan-style yogurt
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup or so of milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (fresh wild blueberries are the best but frozen works too)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen rhubarb (I freeze my garden rhubarb for later use)
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Add egg and yogurt. Mix well. In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternately with the milk (depending on the kind of yogurt you use, you may need more, but be careful not to add too much). Fold in the blueberries and rhubarb.
- Fill 12 paper-lined muffin cups and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are browned and firm to the touch. Cool and enjoy!