Yay! Spring is here! Or should I say summer? We went from winter to summer, from 2 to 22 degrees Celsius, in just a few days! I put away my booties and am now wearing my sandals, cleaned the winter jackets, stored my pants, and made room for shorts and capris! I am loving every minute of this warm weather!
Winter has definitely taken a toll on me, especially around the waist. I exercised less and ate foods high in carbohydrates, you know the “comfy food”, consisting of bread, soups, and pasta, so now I am swapping the breads for less carbs by using Gay Lea cottage cheese and making a healthier breakfast choice for my family.
There are many healthy reasons for eating cottage cheese (based on Gay Lea Nordica 1% Cottage Cheese):
- It’s high in protein: 15 g per 1/2 cup
- It’s low in fat: 1.5 g per 1/2 cup
- It’s low in calories: 100 per 1/2 cup
- It’s high in calcium and vitamin D: 15% of your daily value per 1/2 cup for each
This month, I would like to share my Banana Splits Breakfast Recipe with you. Your kids will love this recipe and think they are eating desserts for breakfast, but you will know this is nutritious for them!
- 4 Bananas
- 2 cups of Gay Lea Nordica 1% Cottage Cheese
- 1 cup of strawberries (or your favourite fruits)
- 1/4 cup or roasted peanuts or almonds (chopped)
- 4 tbsp of maple syrup
- Peel and cut each banana in half lengthwise.
- Place 2 banana halves in a shallow bowl or a banana split bowl.
- Place 1/2 cup cottage cheese over the center of the 2 banana halves using an ice cream scoop.
- Top with the 1/4 cup of strawberries, 1 tbsp of the roasted peanuts or almonds, and 1 tbsp of the maple syrup.
- Serve immediately.
For more recipe ideas using cottage cheese, make sure to check out Gay Lea’s website!
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.