Treat yourself to a night at the movies… without leaving home! My mom gave me this super easy recipe for making delicious popcorn in the length of time it takes to choose a movie on Netflix.
This stovetop recipe also makes a healthy and tasty snack for kids. The hardest part will be getting your toddler/child to share it with you!
Perfect popcorn for movie night at home.
- Medium-sized pot with lid (I prefer non-stick)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (even olive oil works)
- 4 tbsp Butter or margarine, melted
- ½ cup of popping corn (available at Bulk Barn)
- Heat the cooking oil over high heat.
- Once the oil is very hot, pour enough popping corn to cover the bottom of the saucepan.
- Cover, and wait to hear the kernels pop.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter or margarine in the microwave for 30 seconds (or over the stove, depending on your preferred method).
- Shake the saucepan a few times to ensure kernels are distributed evenly.
- Once the pot is filled with popcorn and you don’t hear any more popping, transfer to a serving bowl.
- Pour the melted butter over the hot popcorn and season with salt to taste.
- You can experiment with different seasonings just like they have at the movie theatres.
Tip: Cool the popping corn in the fridge before popping. I find it makes the kernels retain their moisture which will then make them pop better. Guarantees every kernel will pop!
Note: Popcorn can pose a choking hazard for infants and toddlers. Please exercise caution.
Ambereen Rahim is a senior analyst, part-time blogger and mom of three year old boy/girl twins. In her spare time you can find her travelling, exploring activities with the kids, trying new recipes and blogging about it. You can follow their adventures on twitter @2cuteblog www.2cute.intiaz.com