Fall has arrived. With this change in season comes new fruits and veggies to enjoy in warm and cozy dishes. Apples and pumpkins are among some of the produce for people to create fantastic fall favourites such as pies crumbles and soups. Barilla® wants Canadian families to enjoy delicious dishes that will bring a fresh taste to classic flavours of the season with Barilla® Pronto™.
Barilla® Pronto™ wants Canadians to rethink how they cook pasta. It takes three easy simple steps to prepare this pasta and is ready to eat in minutes! This is all you have to do to cook this pasta:
- Add a box of Barilla® Pronto™ pasta to a pan (approximately 12 inches in diameters) with 3 cups of cold water, ensuring the water covers the pasta.
- Set the temperature high and stir regularly until most of the water is absorbed for about 10 minutes.
- If desired, add 1 jar of Barilla® sauce to the pan and heat for 1 minute before serving. You are also able to add your favourite ingredients to create a dish your family will love!
Not a fan of waiting for a pot of water to boil? Barilla® Pronto™ is cooked in a pan so there is no need for this step, nor is there a need for draining water. This makes meal time quicker and easier! Barilla® Pronto™ is available in four different varieties:
- Half-Cut Spaghetti
- Cut Macaroni
Barilla® asked me to try out a Barilla® Pronto™ pasta to create a dish using fresh fall produce that my family has not tried before.
They sent me a recipe for Linguine with Caramelized Apples to try for dinner to see what we thought. I substituted the called for linguine noodles with Barilla® Pronto™ Half-Cut Spaghetti noodles since my family love spaghetti.
- 1 box Barilla Linguine
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 apples, peeled, diced 1/2 inch
- 3 cups pumpkin, peeled, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, chopped 1/2 inch strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine olive oil, apples, pumpkin, thyme and bacon in a mixing bowl.
- Place on a non-stick baking sheet and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until apples are caramelized and pumpkin is soft.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Place pasta wan pasta water back into saucepan over medium heat.
- Add apple mixture, scrapping all ingredients from baking sheet into pasta.
- Toss and heat through, season to taste.
- Place into eight bowls and top with toasted pumpkin seeds and cheese.
We were a bit hesitant when trying this meal because we usually do not eat pumpkin and apples with pasta before. This dish was a bit outside of our comfort zone, but we love food and do not shy down from trying something new. We were surprised with the mix of flavours!
The pumpkin, apple, and bacon were a great taste combination to eat! It had a sweet and salty profile that was interesting to eat. The goat cheese was not a hit with my little ones, but it added a zip to the dish that we enjoyed. One of the easiest parts of preparing this meal had to be cooking the Barilla® Pronto™ Half-Cut Spaghetti noodles. It was great to be able to cook and then mix together to blend all of the ingredients together before plating. We will be serving this dish again this fall!
Want to see what else you can try with your family using Barilla® pasta? Click here to find a recipe to cook and enjoy!
Disclaimer: I was generously compensated by Barilla to write this post.
A Barilla® Pronto™ Giveaway!
Enter to win 4 Barilla® Pronto™ Pasta:
- Half-Cut Spaghetti
- Cut Macaroni
The ARV of this prize package is $10!
This giveaway is open to Canadian residents and ends at 11:59 EDT on November 11th, 2016.
Rules: Open to Canadian residents 18 +. You have 48 hours to reply by email once you are notified as the winner. If you don’t, we will draw another entry. Prize is non-transferable. No substitution or cash equivalent of prizes is permitted. The selected winner must correctly answer a mathematical question in order to win the prize mentioned above. The Ottawa Mommy Club is not responsible for prize fulfillment and for the delivery/shipment of the prize(s) mentioned above. For our complete set of rules, please click here.